It's been three months since Fitbit got into the WiFi scale game, but until now Withings has remained pretty much the only option for weight watchers who actually intend to buy one. Now, though, the Fitbit Aria is finally shipping and, just like Fitbit said it would, it costs $130. That's potentially not a bad deal, seeing as how it matches the $160 Withings scale in a few key areas: it tracks weight, BMI and body fat percentage, gives you the option of tweeting your poundage, and can recognize up to eight different users. Like Fitbit, too, it allows you to access your data through a website, or an iOS / Android app.
Of course, the main thing the Aria has that Withings doesn't is a fitness monitor to go with it. The Aria is designed to work with the company's Fitbit trackers, which log physical activity, calories burned, stairs climbed and, if you're diligent about data entry, the various meals you've consumed. Since all that information lives online in an alphabet soup of healthiness, it might paint a more complete picture of how fit you are. Then again, you'd have to commit to wearing the Fitbit day in and day out. And, you know, pay $100 for it. Your call.
Time to Weigh In, Fitbit® Now Shipping AriaTM Wi-Fi Smart Scale
The Market Leader in Digital Health Tools Offers Newest Way to Meet Health Goals
SAN FRANCISCO, CA., April 23, 2012 – Fitbit, the market leader in innovative health and fitness products and the maker of the popular Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker, announced that the Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale is now available for purchase at national retailers and at Fitbit.com. Fitbit Aria is a high performance scale that tracks weight, % body fat and BMI, and automatically uploads your info through your Wi-Fi network to your Fitbit account. With your Fitbit account, you can set weight goals, track your progress, as well as garner extra motivation by earning badges through Fitbit's online and app tools.
The launch of the Aria scale highlights Fitbit's continued commitment to bringing affordable health and fitness products to the mainstream with simple, innovative easy to use products that keep people engaged and motivated on their fitness journey.
"Fitbit is dedicated to creating products and services that allow you to easily understand and analyze your everyday health in one simple account," said James Park, CEO and co-founder of Fitbit. "With our newest device, Fitbit Aria, and our mobile and online tools, you'll understand more about your weight and be empowered to set and achieve your weight goals." Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale promises:
- Automatically Uploads via Wi-Fi: Track weight, % body fat and BMI (Body Mass Index) and uploads information automatically to your Fitbit dashboard
- Track weight and more - Tracks weight, % body fat and BMI (Body Mass Index)
- Track on the go - Track your weight and more on Fitbit's free iPhone and Android App.
- Automatically recognize 8 users: Recognize by weight all the people in your home so each person can see their own stats on their separate Fitbit.com accounts.
- Easy Set Up Process: Set up from your smartphone or browser in less than 5 minutes.
- Always Private: Set private by default; only if you choose to, weight can be shared within your household or with friends and family
With your Aria Scale, you'll see on Fitbit.com how to:
- Track trends with free graphs and charts: Spot trends and patterns with your weight metrics with easy-to-read visualizations.
- Set Goals and Track Progress: Target the ideal weight and progress to set goals with food and activity logging tools.
- Get motivated with badges: Earn badges as you progress to your goal as extra motivation to stay on track.
- Create a Support Network: Invite your friends or find like-goaled people or groups in our established, active and growing community.
- Integrate Fitbit Ultra: Upload your Fitbit Ultra to track activity and sleep data in one dashboard to give an easy and complete view of fitness and health.
Fitbit continues to expand rapidly, with its products selling at over 6,000 U.S. retail stores, in the EU, and Canada. The Fitbit Aria ($129.95 USD) is now available in black and white on www.fitbit.com and in Best Buy and Brookstone stores nationwide.