Broadcom rolled out its new wireless Gigabit 802.11ac chips in January of this year, and since then Buffalo, Netgear and ASUS have all delivered routers packing the speedy new new tech. Well, Belkin's finally joining the party with its new AC1000 and AC1200 dual-band routers sporting 802.11ac/b/g/n wireless and four Gigabit Ethernet ports. Courtesy of the ac chip inside, the $140 AC1000 delivers a max throughput of 665Mbps on the 5GHz band, while the AC1200 ups that speed to 867Mbps and will set you back $160. Once they go on sale at the end of June, you just gotta grab an appropriate ASUS laptop or find a phone packing Marvell's latest WiFi silicon and you'll actually be able to take advantage of that massive throughput -- assuming your broadband connection cooperates, of course.
Belkin AC1000 DB and AC1200 DB router press shots
Next-Generation Wi-Fi Technology Delivers Speeds Up to Three Times Faster than Legacy Networks
Playa Vista, Calif. – June 20, 2012 – Belkin, creator of people-inspired consumer technology products, today launched its new line of advanced wireless routers featuring 802.11ac technology for speeds up to three times faster than existing 802.11n technology. As one of the first to market with routers that support the new 802.11ac networking standard, Belkin's AC1000 DB and AC1200 DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Routers provide enhanced reliability, greater speeds, and enhanced streaming capabilities.
"With a majority of video content being consumed on devices such as smart TVs, smartphones, and tablets instead of a home computer, today's tech-savvy families have an increasing need for simultaneous connections to multiple devices throughout their homes," said Mike Chen, senior director of Belkin's networking business. "The enhanced speed and expanded coverage of Belkin's AC routers enable families to achieve the truly seamless online experiences they crave."
Featuring Broadcom's fifth-generation (5G Wi-Fi) 802.11ac chip technology, the Belkin AC1000 DB and AC1200 DB provide gigabit speeds wirelessly to extend network range and provide more reliable coverage at greater distances. A centerpiece to any advanced home technology ecosystem, Belkin's powerful AC routers make it possible to stream more content to multiple devices virtually anywhere in the home. Ideal for smartphones and tablets, AC technology enables faster web downloads and file syncing with less drainage on battery life.
AC1000 DB Wi-Fi Dual Band AC+ Gigabit Router (F9K1112) - $139.99
AC1200 DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Router (F9K1113) - $159.99
• AC1000 DB is up to two times faster than 802.11n technology with simultaneous dual-band speeds up to 996Mbps (300Mbps on the 2.4GHz + 665Mbps on 5GHz); AC1200 DB is up to 2.8 times faster operating on 1166Mbps link rate (300Mbps on 2.4GHz + 867Mbps on 5GHz)
• Uninterrupted HD streaming to multiple devices simultaneously helps conserve battery power on mobile devices
• Belkin's built-in IntelliStream QoS automatically prioritizes video and gaming and reduces loading time on frequently visited sites
• MultiBeam technology provides a high-powered signal for maximum coverage across the entire home
• Parental Control powered by Norton blocks unsafe and inappropriate content with three available levels of protection
• Media Server technology allows you to stream DLNA multimedia throughout your home
• IPv6 compatibility future-proofs the home network
• Backward-compatible with previous generations of Wi-Fi
• 4 Gigabit ports for maximum network speeds
Belkin's AC routers will be available starting at the end June online at Amazon.com and Belkin.com and in-store at Best Buy, Target, and other select retailers in the U.S.