If you've ever sighed in frustration at not being able to leap straight from discovering a song to playing it ad-nauseum on Spotify or Rdio, here's a heads-up. Shazam's iPad-focused iOS update integrates both streaming services with its discovery software in addition to a new look home screen and an auto-tagging mode that'll passively observe any music in the background. The mapping service has also been tweaked, letting you search and see what songs are being tagged in your neighborhood (or anyone else's, for that matter) and if you'd like to see it in action, head on past the break.
Update: Shazam's been in touch to clarify that Rdio is available for all users, but if you want Spotify integration, you'll have to upgrade to the paid version.
Shazam Launches Completely Redesigned App for iPad with New Features for Deeper Engagement and Exploration
New features include Auto-Tagging, exciting new discovery home screen, tag charts for any city, and improved experience
London – 23 May 2013 - Shazam®, the world's leading media engagement company, today launched a complete redesign of its app for iPad fans, including a new discovery home screen, an improved layout for Shazam tag results for both TV and music, and a new way to browse what your friends have been watching and listening to. The updated app also launches an exclusive new Auto-Tagging feature that helps you continually recognize and engage with any media playing around you, including music, television programs, and TV advertisements -- automatically. The new app design for iPad is sponsored by the Fiat Brand and Fox Broadcasting Company for the first three months after launch.
For iPad, the redesigned Shazam App gives users new streams of activity, enabling them to see in real time and explore the songs people are listening to right now and, in the US, the TV shows people are currently watching. Shazam is also bringing to its iPad experience for the first time two popular features – lightning-fast tagging that enables recognition in as little as one second and full-screen LyricPlay™ lyrics, which plays the lyrics on-screen in time with the music. The new app adds a fascinating new interactive mapping feature enabling music fans to explore what people are listening to in any city around the world.
"We have seen amazing growth and expansion in both the number of people who use Shazam on iPad as well as their level of engagement," said Rich Riley, Shazam CEO. "With more than 300 million Shazamers globally who use the app more than ten million times each day to discover more about the music and television they are interested in, we have created an exciting and engaging new iPad experience for existing and new users."
When Shazam fans download the new app or update to this new version, they can experience great new features that encourage and enable discovery and exploration, some of which are also available in the experience for iPhone and iPod touch:
· Auto-tagging, so that people never miss discovering new songs, experiencing more with TV shows and live TV events, and getting more info or special offers for TV ads they are interested in (available on iPad only);
· An exciting new design featuring an innovative home screen that invites exploration to see what TV shows* and music people are currently tagging, as well as find out what's most popular in the Shazam Tag Charts (available on iPad only);
· An interactive mapping feature, enabling fans to zoom in to any city in the world to discover, buy and share the most popular music people are listening to in that location – starting at the continent level, then drilling down into the country, state/region, city and even to the town level, in some cases;
· Integrated streaming with Rdio. Tag results enable fans to instantly listen to the song again if they have a subscription to Rdio or sign-up for an Rdio trial subscription;
· An improved Shazam Friends feature, providing people with one of the best ways to discover new music and media from their friends as well as giving them quick access to preview and comment on their friends' tags;
· Lightning-fast tagging, so that people can identify what they're watching or listening to in as little as one second;
· Sharing that's easier than ever, including a streamlined way to tell your friends about your finds via Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and email; and,
· Automatic resubmission. If people are in a poor network reception area, they no longer have to manually resubmit their tags when they get to a better reception area. Resubmission will happen automatically, and the user will be notified.
"During the last year, we have seen triple-digit growth in the number of downloads of the iPad version of our app," continued Riley. "iPad offers an ideal way to experience more on the second screen as people watch television (the first screen), giving them more space to engage in additional content. Our new app gives our fans the most efficient way to experience more of the media around them whether they are in their home or anywhere throughout the world."
The new version of Shazam for iOS is a universal app, so it works across iPad 2 and 3, iPad Mini, iPhone and iPod touch.
The new features are available in the Free, Encore and (SHAZAM)RED versions for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch come with unlimited tagging, giving fans more opportunities to engage with music and television content.
The new design and features are expected to launch on Android devices in the coming weeks.
* Second-screen immersive experiences for television programming are available currently in the United States and on a selective basis in the UK. Shazam for TV advertising is available for brands to use globally, with over 200 television advertising campaigns for over 140 brands already delivered in over a dozen countries in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 13
- Form factor Tablet
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 9.7 inches
- Storage type Internal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery life Up to 10 hours
- Dimensions 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 in
- Weight 0.96 lb
- Announced 2014-10-16