AT&T hinted that it was shaking up its GoPhone plans later this month, and it's making good on its word. As of June 21st, customers using the prepaid service will have access to the same LTE service as their subscription peers; AT&T will mark the occasion by selling the Samsung Galaxy Express to GoPhone users at $250 off-contract. The simplified smartphone plans are here as well, although they're better than previously expected. The carrier is dropping all data add-ons except for the $5 / 50MB pack, which is only available for a $25 monthly tier with 250 voice minutes and unlimited messaging. However, it will only cost $40 a month for a plan with 200MB of data and 500 minutes, and a $60 plan will offer 2GB of data with unlimited voice. AT&T's new strategy won't appease some data lovers, but those trying to avoid long contracts and harsh upgrade policies should be happy.
Update: To be clear, this is the official launch of LTE -- some customers have had the faster service in advance. The plans should be new. Also, the company has told reader Jian that those with older Pick Your Plan rates can't join the 4G ranks without switching to a capped plan first.
AT&T GoPhone Customers Can Surf the Nation's Fastest 4G LTE Network with Prepaid Plans
New 4G LTE GoPhone Device Offers Blazing Fast Speed on a Budget
Beginning June 21, AT&T* GoPhone customers can enjoy the affordability and simplicity of a prepaid wireless plan on the nation's fastest 4G LTE network.** AT&T is adding to its lineup of GoPhone devices with the introduction of the 4G LTE-capable Samsung Galaxy Express™.
New and existing AT&T GoPhone customers can bring their own 4G or 4G LTE smartphone or choose a GoPhone device to connect to AT&T's nation's largest 4G network. AT&T 4G and 4G LTE service is available with any of the new GoPhone smartphone plans, which include:
* $60 a month for 2 GB of data, unlimited nationwide calling, and unlimited messaging - now double the data at a lower monthly price. Additional data is available for $10 per 1 GB.
* $40 a month for 200 MB of data, 500 minutes of nationwide calling, and unlimited messaging. Additional data is available for $5 per 100 MB.
* $25 a month for 250 minutes of nationwide calling and unlimited messaging, with an optional data package of 50 MB for an additional $5 a month.
* All GoPhone monthly plans include international texts from the U.S. to Mexico, Canada and 100 other countries.
"AT&T GoPhone customers can make the most of their smartphones on our fast 4G LTE network, and with our new prepaid plans, they're getting even more value and data at an attractive price," said Mark Collins, AT&T Mobility senior vice president of data and voice products. "With the addition of the Samsung Galaxy Express, customers get the latest capabilities and speeds from their wireless experience, and we'll be adding more exciting devices to our GoPhone lineup."
The Samsung Galaxy Express is available on June 21 for $249.99 online and at any AT&T company-owned retail store or GoPhone distributors. The Galaxy Express is all about sharing. Samsung's S Beam™ enables consumers to share large files - photos, videos, music and more - with any other S Beam-capable device. Additional features include:
* 4G LTE
* Operating system: Android, Jelly Bean
* 1.5 GHz dual-core processor
* 4.5-inch Super AMOLED® Plus display
* 5-megapixel rear facing camera with 720 p video recording capabilities at 30 frames per second
* 1.3-megapixel front facing camera with VGA video recording at 15 frames per second
* Internal memory/storage: 1 GB RAM, 8 GB storage with support for up to 32 GB microSD card
AT&T GoPhone monthly plans are also available for quick messaging and basic phones, with several plans to choose from. For $35 a month, basic phone customers can get 500 minutes of nationwide calling, unlimited data and unlimited messaging.
AT&T GoPhone smartphone customers can also choose a $50 unlimited talk and text plan with Wi-Fi data only.
For more information on AT&T GoPhone and a complete listing of plans, visit www.att.com/gophone.