We gave them their giftbags a little early.
3:15PM EST: Yep, there are already people in line. FYI, the entrance is on 9th Ave, not 16th Street.
3:42PM EST: Cesar from ZuneInsider is here and working furiously -- hmm, wonder what kind of phone he's got...
3:51PM EST: Josh just rolled in with a report that there are now 20 (!) people in line. Craziness!
3:55PM EST: A random reader just wandered in through the loading dock and asked us where the party is. We did not give him a microSD card.
4:17PM EST: The line grows, even though it's basically raining ice pellets. People are huddling for warmth, and we've seen a couple collective group coffee runs.
4:40PMEST: Phil Torrone and the MAKE guys just got here, they're setting up -- we hear they've got a little surprise in store for us later.
PT and Josh reminiscing about 2600 magazine.
5:01PM EST: The line's down the block, it's getting dark, and people are ready to get down. Josh and I are about to go hype up the crowd a little bit, we're all super excited.
5:12PM EST: Nokia's here, with a ton of cool stuff to play with!
5:21PM EST: The line outside's turned the corner, it's cold, but spirits are high. We promise, tons of free stuff will warm everyone right up.
5:28PM: Paul Miller has arrived! He is threatening to perform a song called "The Lament of Ryan Block" in his best Taylor Swift voice.
5:40PM EST: The lights have been turned down -- just about an hour to go! The Ovi people should be here soon, uploading in real time -- we might switch over to them when that happens.
6:45PM EST: The line is around the building, and things inside are at full tilt. We're checking out for now -- be sure to hit up out live party stream post in a few!
This is it! The Engadget reader meetup / holiday party is happening tonight in New York City! All of the information you need is below, but we'd like to stress a few points:
- The venue capacity has a limit, so make sure you get there early, and plan to wait in a bit of a line.
- It is snowing like crazy in New York -- so please bundle up and come prepared for the elements! We'll do everything we can to move people inside as quickly as possible, and there's a coat check at the venue for your heavier gear.
- Bring your ID! Without it, you can't get in!
And the rest of the details about the event:
- We're giving away tens of thousands of dollars in gear! Including...
- SanDisk 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB microSD cards for the first 200 people through the door!
- Free food, and free drink tickets for the first 500 people
- Live Q&A session with Engadget editors
- Music for the evening will be provided by Justin VanDerVolgen (of !!! and Outhud)
- The event is 18 TO ENTER / 21 TO DRINK, AND YOU MUST BRING AN ID. ADMISSION IS FREE. Sorry younger readers, but we'll do a follow-up all ages event soon!
- The venue capacity tops out at a tiny bit over 1000, so you if you're coming, be sure to get there early!
When: Friday, December 19th, 7:00PM to 12:00AM
Where: Hiro Ballroom, 371 W. 16th St., New York, NY. 10011
You can discuss plans for the event on Facebook here