The past week has been largely dominated by discussion of patch 4.0.6, which isn't completely unexpected. The patch only recently made it to the PTR, and everybody loves talking about the new hotness. Cataclysm is old and busted now, right? Nobody wants to talk about that.
All right, all right. I wouldn't call it old and busted, but patch 4.0.6 is bringing a lot of change to an already change-filled expansion. Classes, quests, and dungeons are all being buffed, nerfed, and fixed. Follow us behind the cut below to check out WoW Insider's top posts of the last week -- patch news and otherwise.
Hot news and features
- Wondering where our warlock columnist went? Or our retribution and protection paladin columnist? Don't miss this letter from Dan O'Halloran, WoW Insider's editor-in-chief, explaining the missing links.
- Josh Myers discusses why it's okay for your class to be average.
- Man, Cataclysm heroics are hard! Ghostcrawler, what's up with that?
- Mat McCurley, WoW Insider's addon specialist, details three makeover suggestions for the default UI.
- Are you new to the PTR? Are you unsure how that whole thing works? Hunter columnist
ClarissaBrian Wood explains it all.
- Our guest series to the daily quests of Cataclysm continues with the quests of Tol Barad.
- How you accrue guild experience in dungeons is changing for the better in patch 4.0.6.
- RIFT, an upcoming MMO, is the most recent in a very long list of games that have taunted World of Warcraft in its advertisement. It's a great tactic for getting people talking about your game, but is inviting comparisons to WoW such a good idea?
Class news and guides
- Arcane Brilliance digs through the patch 4.0.6 patch notes for mages.
- Lichborne lays out basic tips and tricks for the rookie death knight.
- Scattered Shots makes a bold claim: Hunters are better than every other class in the game, and here's why.
- Spiritual Guidance has a guide to Mind Control for shadow priests and a deep look at the patch 4.0.6 changes for healing priests.
- Shifting Perspectives: Balance edition looks at the state of the spec on the patch 4.0.6 PTR. Over on the restoration side of the pond, the final installment of the gearing for resto series has been released.
- Encrypted Text teaches you about the tools of the trade. Psst, that means weapons.
- Totem Talk helps you choose which race you should play as an enhancement shaman. Also, restoration shaman get new spell effects in patch 4.0.6.
- Blood Pact helps warlocks through Blackwing Descent.
- The Care And Feeding of Warriors also looks at the patch notes of patch 4.0.6.
- The Light And How To Swing It. Holy in patch 4.0.6. Go!
- In Raid Rx, patch 4.0.6 continues to be the talk of the town with a look at the state of healing on the PTR.
- Ready Check brings you a guide to the Throne of Four Winds.
- Gold Capped discusses the impact mega-blogs may have on your chosen market.
- The glorious tale of Throgg and Lolegolas continues in Phat Loot Phriday. This week's episode: Attack of the candy kingdom.
- The OverAchiever takes its first look at the Glory of the Cataclysm Hero achievement.
- Eye of the Storm rated battleground strategies is the subject of this week's Art of War(craft).
- On the arena end of things, Blood Sport discusses the removal of Drain Mana and its ramifications.
- Addon Spotlight highlights Raeli's Spell Announcer.
- Know Your Lore: Honor, Krom'gar. Forsake it only occasionally. Also, Baine Bloodhoof.
- The Lawbringer tackles the topic of net neutrality and its effect on MMOs.
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm has destroyed Azeroth as we know it; nothing is the same! In WoW Insider's Guide to Cataclysm, you can find out everything you need to know about WoW's third expansion, from leveling up a new goblin or worgen to breaking news and strategies on endgame play.