You've likely read our review of Sony's Xperia Ion by now, so just consider this a reminder for those who've yet to peruse it. After nearly half a year from being christened at CES, the Ion can officially be purchased today in the US. Agreeing to a two-year commitment and laying out 100 smackers at AT&T -- or just 50 at Sony or Best Buy -- will net you this handset and its curious match-up of dated and up-to-date specs. On the one hand, this Xperia disappointingly runs Android Gingerbread (2.3.7) atop a dual-core 1.5Ghz Snapdragon S3 processor. However, it also packs a 4.6-inch HD Reality display (1280 x 720), 1,900mAh battery, 1GB of RAM, a 12MP (720p video) Exmor R sensor-loaded rear shooter, NFC and PlayStation certification. Hit up your local AT&T, Best Buy or Sony store to see if it feels better in your hand than it did in ours, or shop for it online at the source links below.
[Thanks, Jason & Oliver]
Show full PR text
xperia™ ion, SONY'S FiRST 4g lte sMArtphone with HD All Around IS NOW in stores and available exclusivEly with AT&T FOR $99.99
WHAT: The Sony Xperia™ ion, exclusively for AT&T, is now available for $99.99 with a new two-year agreement at AT&T, Sony and Best Buy retail and online stores.
It provides stunning HD viewing with a 4.6-inch HD Reality display and the ability to effortlessly connect, share and control HD content from your phone across multiple screens through HDMI output.
Xperia ion packs a 12-megapixel Fast Capture camera and quick launch feature with a dedicated camera button. It goes from standby to first camera shot in 1.5 seconds and from shot-to-shot in less than a second.
Sony Entertainment Network gives AT&T customers who buy the Xperia ion a 30 day free trial of Music Unlimited's premium service with a catalog of millions of songs. Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited which brings access to the latest Hollywood blockbusters and TV shows from all major studios to rent or buy are available for download from the Google Play store.
Customers who buy the Xperia ion through Best Buy will receive a deluxe version of Maroon 5's new album Overexposed pre-loaded on their phone.
Xperia ion is complemented by SmartTags*, which let you store device function preferences for different locations and situations – such as turning on GPS and Bluetooth in the car simultaneously with just one tap.
· 4.6" (measured diagonally) 720p HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine for unbeatable HD viewing
· HD imaging excellence from Sony: 12MP camera with Exmor R™ for Mobile camera sensor, 1080p HD video recording on primary camera, 720p HD front-facing chat camera
· Easy multi-screen connectivity with HDMI and DLNA®
· 1.5Ghz dual core processor
· 16GB internal memory with microSD™ expansion slot supports up to 32GB
· PlayStatio® Certified for high quality mobile gaming
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
· The Xperia™ ion will be available for $99.99 with a new two-year agreement starting today in-store and online at AT&T, Sony and Best Buy.
*SmartTags sold separately.