Games leading the sales charge include Grand Theft Auto 5, which clung to its top spot, and Pokemon X and Y, which took No. 2 and No. 3, respectively. Batman: Arkham Origins and Assassins' Creed 4: Black Flag both launched late in October but claimed spots 5 and 6. Peep the full list after the break.
Gaming hardware sales dropped 8 percent year-over-year to $171.7 million, with the 3DS leading the pack for the sixth month straight. The Xbox 360 was the No. 1 console again in October, after the PS3 ruined its streak in September.
Sales of gaming accessories rose 1 percent last month, due to an increase of more than 70 percent in the Interactive Gaming Toys department – meaning Skylanders and Disney Infinity pieces – NPD analyst Liam Callahan says.
Next month will be a very different NPD, with the launch of the PS4 tomorrow and the Xbox One next week. Check out our latest PS4 launch coverage (now with Vines!) right here.
- Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
- Pokemon X (3DS)
- Pokemon Y (3DS)
- Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PC)
- Batman: Arkham Origins (360, PS3, NWU, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS3, NWU)
- NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PC)
- Skylanders SWAP Force (WII, 360, PS3, NWU, 3DS)
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, NWU, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- WWE 2K14 (360, PS3)