The Crowdfund Bookie crunches data from select successful Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns that ended during the month and produces pretty charts for you to look at.
On average, crowdfunding projects raised $128,573 in the last six months, but as we examined in our last quarterly report, these mean averages can be quite misleading. By comparison, the median, or middle number in the data set for the amount of money raised by each of the 186 projects, is $25,188. Given that only six of the projects raised at least one million dollars, and just seven more raised at least $500,000 during that time frame, we can conclude that the average amount of money raised by crowdfunding projects in the last six months is positively skewed. Similarly, the median number of backers per project was 542 (a sharp contrast to a mean average of 2,691). Future project creators should take note, then: Your average Kickstarter or Indiegogo gaming project earns closer to $25,188, not $128,573.
Additionally, the data shows that strategy games like Hex and Warmachine: Tactics led the genre to the top of the list, as they earned the most money of the group ($6,901,527). Conversely, the adventure genre had the most successful projects, as 46 adventurous or narrative-driven games were funded in the last six months, such as Obduction and Armikrog. Action games had the highest number of backers (145,316), thanks especially to the highest-earning game of the group, Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9, which hauled in $3,845,170 thanks to 67,226 people.
Head past the break to see the top-earning games and breakdown by genre for the six-month period.
Action (32): $6,578,834 (327.63%) by 145,316 people ($45.27 mean average)
Adventure (46): $4,113,380 (139.41%) by 96,876 people ($42.46 mean average)
Fighting (5): $419,355 (134.11%) by 10,448 people ($40.14 mean average)
Platformer (8): $557,221 (203.78%) by 15,104 people ($36.89 mean average)
Puzzle (7): $134,530 (152.52%) by 3,428 people ($39.24 mean average)
Racing (1): $95,692 (152.34%) by 1,847 people ($51.81 mean average)
RPG (38): $3,413,007 (287.85%) by 70,362 people ($48.51 mean average)
Shooter (9): $1,024,013 (171.53%) by 22,938 people ($44.64 mean average)
Simulation (11): $677,107 (148.65%) by 19,982 people ($33.89 mean average)
Strategy (29): $6,901,527 (245.82%) by 114,166 people ($60.45 mean average)
- Mighty No. 9 by Comcept - $3,845,170
- Hex by Cryptozoic Entertainment - $2,278,255
- Warmachine: Tactics by Privateer Press Strategy - $1,578,950
- Obduction by Cyan Inc - $1,321,306
- Massive Chalice by Double Fine - $1,229,015
- Project Phoenix by Creative Intelligence Arts - $1,014,600
- Armikrog by Pencil Test Studios - $974,578
- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero by WayForward - $776,084
- Satellite Reign by 5 Lives Studio - $705,194
- City of Titans by Missing Worlds Media - $678,189
- Hyper Light Drifter by Heart Machine - $645,158
- Tobuscus Adventures by Toby Turner - $642,779
- 7 Days to Die by The Fun Pimps - $507,612
- Awesomenauts: Starstorm by Ronimo Games - $345,835
- Megatokyo by Fred Gallagher - $299,184