ASUS is showing off their design chops again today with the introduction of the U6S. That nudges their total laptop model tally to 48 by our count -- we're not talking custom builds mind you; ASUS now offers forty-fracking-eight different series of laptops with an endlessly complex matrix of submodels -- the apparent curse of being both an OEM and retail brand
. That travesty aside, the new 12.1-inch U6S design is simply smokin' in our not so humble opinion. Hitting Europe in October for €1,999 (about $2,833), it offers a balanced compromise of power and portability with a sweet list of specs tucked into that sleek little 3.3-pound (1.5-kg) package. Details after the break.
- LED backlit 1,280 x 800 display with an integrated 0.3 megapixel webcam
- Core 2 Duo T7500 processor
- HDMI and SPDIF outputs
- 802.11a/g/n WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, and HSDPA data
- 128MB of nVIDIA GeForce 8400M G graphics
- 250GB disk and 2GB DDR2 memory
- Dual-layer DVD writer
- ExpressCard 54/34 slot, fingerprint reader, 8-in-1 memory card reader, 4x USB
- 5-hours of juice off optional 6-cell battery
Also announced are updates to their G2S
laptops. In short, the 14.1-inch F8S sees a bump to 512MB of ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 graphics while G2S Extreme Limited Edition now offers an overclockable 2.6GHz X7800 Core 2 Extreme processor for all your gaming delights.