In related news, the company is taking this opportunity to issue a limited edition K-5 DSLR, with this one touting a silver body, a uniquely shaped grip and shock-resistant, scratchproof glass surrounding the LCD. Outside of that, everything else about the 16.3 megapixel shooter will remain the same as it ever was, and the $1,699.95 (body only) price point is most certainly no easier to swallow. For those still sold on the idea, Pentax will also be offering a trifecta of silver prime lenses: the 21m f/3.2 AL, 40mm f/2.8 and the 70mm f/2.4. Check out Sir Silver (and the full press releases) just after the break.
PENTAX ANNOUNCES OPTIO WG-1 AND WG-1 GPS DIGITAL CAMERAS: Flex Your Sense Of Adventure With The Newest Generation Of Waterproof, Shockproof, Coldproof, Dustproof Compacts
February 7, 2011(GOLDEN,CO)...PENTAX Imaging Company has announced its 12th generation of adventure series digital cameras – the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and PENTAX Optio WG-1 GPS. Featuring outstanding waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, coldproof, and crushproof capability, these extra-rugged models take adventure photography to new heights (and depths).
The new and improved features on the PENTAX Optio WG-1 include:
14 megapixel sensor.
Waterproof to 33 feet.
Shockproof, ruggedized design to withstand falls up to 5 feet.
New crushproof construction* to withstand weight force up to 220 pounds (100kgf kilogram-force).
Enhanced Digital Microscope mode that offers five macro LEDs for excellent macro lighting plus a detachable macro stand for steadier capture.
Fast Face Detection technology, Smile Capture, and Blink Detection for portraits including a handy new Self-Portrait Assist mode perfect for facebooking and other social networking activities.
Available with and without GPS, the WG-1 GPS functionality* tracks and records positional data recording with images for geo-tagging applications making it easy for users to check the shooting locations of captured images and link the data with PC-based maps.
*Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards.** GPS included only on the select WG-1 GPS model.
Other important WG-1 features include:
• Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
• Dustproof protection for dry, dusty environments.
• Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
• Large 2.7 inch LCD features a wide angle 16:9 aspect ratio with anti-reflective coating.
• Video capture in widescreen 720p HD at 30 frames per second.
• Pixel Track and Digital Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images.
• An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting.
• An HDMI port to play back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
• Infrared remote control compatibility with the waterproof Remote Control WP, as well as other PENTAX infrared remotes.
• Designed with the look of mountaineering equipment, the new Optios includes a woven web fabric strap in complementary color accents complete with a carabiner to attach the camera to a backpack and other outdoor gear.
• Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity for built-in Wi-Fi capability to transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer or an online sharing site (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
Priced at $349.95 USD, Optio WG-1 will be available in a choice of Black or Purple, while the Optio WG-1 GPS will be priced at $399.95 USD and available in Black or Yellow Green. Both cameras will ship in April 2011.
A waterproof infared remote control (sold separately) for use with the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and other infrared compatible Optio models is available now for $29.95 USD. More information is available here: www.pentaximaging.com and product images are available here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/press/pressfiles.html
The PENTAX Optio WG-1 is available for preorder on: www.pentaxwebstore.com
PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of a variety of digital cameras including weather- resistant digital SLRs and stylish, compact, waterproof cameras, as well as lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, and eyepieces. For more than 90 years, PENTAX has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.
PENTAX ANNOUNCES LIMITED EDITION SILVER K-5 AND THREE DA LIMITED EDITION SILVER LENSES
Golden, Colorado (February 7, 2011)...PENTAX Imaging Company has announced that the popular K-5 digital SLR will be available soon in Limited Edition Silver. Available in the US in limited quantities this special-edition model of the PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera will feature an exclusive design with an original exterior color scheme and a uniquely shaped grip.
Along with the silver K-5, PENTAX announced three popular PENTAX DA Limited Edition Silver lens models designed for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras also which will ship in the near future. Each limited edition lens will feature a high-quality, silver finish applied to the high precision machine shaped lens barrel, hood and cap.
The three prime lenses that will be available in silver include:
smc PENTAX-DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Silver
smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Silver
smc PENTAX-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Silver
The special edition, silver finish K-5 will match existing PENTAX FA-Limited series lenses and the new DA Limited Silver series lenses. The camera's mode dial, control buttons and levers all feature the elegant silver color. To improve handling, this special-edition model comes with an exclusively designed grip that is thicker than the standard K-5 model. Shock-resistant, scratchproof reinforced glass has been used to protect the LCD monitor on the camera's back panel and the status panel on the top panel.
First announced in September 2010, the K-5 DSLR offers a true high-end, weather-resistant prosumer design and features normally found only on the most costly of professional cameras including:
• High resolution 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor.
• Fast 7 FPS to capture fast action shots.
• A high sensitivity 80-12800 ISO range, expandable to 51200, with improved noise performance overall.
• Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS with sound via built-in microphone or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack.
The unique DA Limited series of prime lenses offers incredible sharpness and image quality, and are made specifically for PENTAX DSLR cameras. These lenses are ideal for even the most discerning photographer who demands top performance in an ultra-compact package. The high-grade aluminum construction of the DA Limited series provides the utmost durability and elegant design.
Whether paired or purchased separately, the Limited Edition Silver K-5 and the smc PENTAX DA
Limited Silver lenses will offer owners a classic, high-end photography expererience. Priced at $1699.95 (body kit), the PENTAX K-5 Limited Edition Silver will be available in April 2011.
The PENTAX DA Limited Edition Silver lens pricing and availability are TBA.
Pentax Optio WG-1