LG, Amtran hook up on LCD joint venture to go live in 2009

LG and Amtran, the manufacturer behind Vizio HDTVs, put pen to paper today on a LCD joint venture in China. Amtran will own 49 percent of the new company and set it up on its existing production base in China, with LG holding the other 51 percent. According to Reuters the plant should be up and running early next year pumping out 5 million LCD TVs a year, but that hasn't improved investor reaction, with shares in both companies falling again. As usual, keep an eye out for quality and not just a nameplate, those Insignia / Vizio / LG on the shelf next year could have a lot more in common than you think.