Samsung introduces TV Discovery service at Mobile World Congress
Service enables consumers to find and play content from multiple providers through a Samsung mobile device, Smart TV or both
SEOUL, Korea – February 21, 2013 – At the annual Mobile World Congress, Samsung will introduce TV Discovery, a service that provides consumers with a faster and easier way to find and enjoy live TV and video content. Complete with personalized recommendations and the ability to search across multiple content providers, the service can be used from upcoming Samsung mobile devices, Smart TVs, or both.
TV Discovery vastly simplifies the content search process by integrating and relaying real-time program information from multiple content sources including traditional live TV, video-on-demand or online content services such as YouTube. Over time, it also offers personal recommendations based on the user's viewing and preference history.
"TV Discovery lets you search and watch content from across our provider partners, whether within your preferred subscriptions or on-demand" said Dr. Won-Pyo Hong, President and Head of Media Solution Center. "The service also features personalized recommendation technology that enables consumers to "teach" the service their own personal preferences. The more you engage with the service, the more relevant the returned recommendations for TV, movies and other on-demand entertainment. It could not be simpler."
The service can be used to find and view content on Samsung SMART TVs and supported mobile devices; or to seamlessly transfer or mirror content between connected devices. TV Discovery also transforms a connected tablet into a universal remote control, allowing users to conduct live TV and on-demand program searches directly from the mobile device and view selections on their Samsung SMART TV.
TV Discovery will initially aggregate content from Netflix and Blockbuster in the US and Acetrax, Wuaki, MovieMax, FilmIn, Chili, Pathé and SF Anytime in the European Countries.
TV Discovery features include:
- Universal Remote Control: Connects to all major media devices including cable, satellite, home stereos, DVD and Blu-Ray players, so users no longer need multiple remote controls to manage their content choices
- Personalized Recommendations: Enables discovery of the most relevant content through personal recommendations
- One stop Search: Enables users to find films, TV shows and on-demand video from popular sources in a single search
- Cross-Device Experience: Allows users to project content from a smartphone, tablet to a TV, or vice-versa
- Social Sharing: Users can share what they're watching with friends and see what they have watched through Samsung TV Discovery.
The TV Discovery service will launch in the first quarter of 2013 in Korea, the US and 14 European countries including UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain on all series of Samsung 2013 SMART TV and will launch in the second quarter of 2013 in the US, Korea and 14 European countries including UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain on mobile devices.