Our 4-star review was right on the critical average mark, with our Ludwig Kietzmann (@LudwigK) saying, "Instead of completing the game, it feels more like I've escaped it and the nightmare it put me through."
- The Escapist (90/100): "The Alien becomes an ever-present threat for the remainder of the campaign, and in true horror fashion, it's scariest when it's not around. The sound of something crawling in the ceiling is constant, and the realization that your own actions could bring it slithering from a vent in search of murder is truly disarming."
- Destructoid (85/100): "if you're so inclined after the roughly 15 hour (or more) story mode, you can tackle the Survivor mode portion, which is basically a challenge room type deal. You'll be timed and get an appropriate score for achieving certain bonus objectives, all while you evade the terrifying alien in a toe-to-toe matchup."
- Shacknews (80/100): "Alien Isolation is for people who can withstand a heightened emotional state for a prolonged period of time. Patience, observation, and fast action are paramount. There were numerous occasions, after being brutally killed again and again, that I had to step away and say, 'Ok, that's enough.' But"
- Gamespot (60/100): "Alien: Isolation provides us a glimpse into a future that holds the Alien game you've always wanted. It is not, however, the vessel that carries you there."
- IGN (59/100): "It may seem strange to complain that a game's too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation's epic length really does work against it. "