Ashley Lauren is an on-camera host, writer, producer, and founder of Kinda Kind, a website focused on making kindness badass. It is her mission to make kindness cool and to show that being kind can be a small action that has a giant impact. In a world where everyone is often so caught up with the grind of the day-to-day, we can forget that it can be incredibly easy to lend a hand, give a stranger a compliment or even share links to positive stories.
Kinda Kind aims to change the tone and tenor of the web by highlighting feel-good stories about good deeds, charitable acts and altruistic tales from how to share positive new stories, Braille smartwatches that help the seeing-impaired, to tips on being a courteous rideshare rider. Keep up with all the kindness by visiting Kinda Kind's website, liking their Facebook page, or following Ashley on Twitter.
1. What's the best tech advice you've ever received?
Command+Shift+4 - Now my desktop has a crazy amount screenshots at any given time.
2. What is your worst tech habit?
Also having a crazy amount of tabs open at any given time.
3. What app(s) can you not live without?
Google maps and Facebook - all of my family lives super far away so the 'book help me stay connected.
4. Are you sporting a wearable right now? If so, what is it?
Sometimes I feel like I wear my phone, does that count?
5. If you could have any superpower what would it be?
Teleportation. Whoever has the job of making teleporting a reality should be fired. What's taking so long?
6. What is your #1 tech pet peeve?
People who check their phones while in conversation with you.
7. What is your go-to karaoke song?
"Toxic" by Britney Spears.
8. Who would play you in your biopic?
Someone with heart, who's also a good dancer. I would like to be portrayed as someone with amazing moves.
9. Who is your favorite villain?
I've always loved Cat Woman. Probably mostly because of the outfit.
10. If you could create an emoji not yet in existence, what would it be?
A glass of champagne! I also wish you could choose from a variety of colors for the dog emoji.
11. Tell us a joke
An atheist, a vegan and someone super into crossfit enter a bar. I only know because they tell everyone almost immediately.
12. How do you disconnect?
I'll hit the gym or go for a run.
13. What is your favorite GIF?
This one! So many puppies!
14. What was the last thing you Googled?
That stupid atheist, vegan and crossfitter joke.
15. If you were a cocktail, what kind of cocktail would you be?
Something that doesn't require a lot of fuss to make, but feels a little fancy. Maybe a champagne cocktail with those fancy cherries some bars have.
16. Show us the last photo you took on your phone
I threw one of my stickers on a giant game of Jenga in Asheville, NC. Because, kindness is badass.
17. What device(s) are you currently lusting after?
I find myself more so lusting after the knowledge of how to use those devices.
18. What aspect of your life remains analog?
Reading. I've yet to read an entire book on a kindle or tablet.
19. Favorite website to waste time on:
Facebook. It is the ultimate time-suck. And Unsplash, the photos are incredible.
20. Share your favorite tech tip or trick
Turning something off and back on, and command + z.
21. What reality show would you like to see created?
I've been working on starting my own - it involves travel and badass kindness.
22. Finish this sentence: I would absolutely take a class that taught me how to _
Be as skilled with technology as Dave Grohl is with music - I want to pick up any device or program and instantly rock it.
23. What is the last book you read?
Sunsets of Tulum, by my friend Ray Bartlett.