Major League Gaming and NBC subsidiary USA Network have signed a deal to air MLG tournaments on cable TV this year, The Wall Street Journal reported this morning.
The deal will result in a "a series of seven, hour-long shows" (to air on Saturday mornings this fall) featuring competitions between gamers in games ranging from Halo 2 to Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Journal reports.
This is great news for competitive gaming. If the show can bring in an audience, next year may bring even more televised competitions between gamers. On behalf of the emerging sport of professional video gaming, we beg the powers that be not to totally screw up the genre's big debut in front of a national audience. Please keep the cheese factor low.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Nintendo Wii console
Microsoft Xbox 360