With word that Madden 07 cover athlete Shaun Alexander has sustained a left foot fracture, sidelining the Seahawk star for at least two weeks, comes renewed speculation about the existence of a 'Madden curse.' Indeed, since 2000, when EA began featuring athletes on the Madden cover, a series of unfortunate events, in varying degrees, has befallen the stars who allegedly risk their careers for EA's "dirty" money.
Here's a brief history of the curse:
- 2000 - Barry Sanders abruptly retires before training camp (was he warned of the impending curse?)
- 2000 - Dorsey Levens is cut by Green Bay the following season
- 2001 - Eddie George enjoys career year, until costly turnover leads to Titan's playoff exit
- 2002 - Daunte Culpepper leads team to dismal 4–7 record before season-ending knee injury
- 2003 - Marshall Faulk suffers ankle injury; career diminishes thereafter
- 2004 - Michael Vick fractures right fibula in preseason game, just one day after Madden is released; sidelined for season
- 2005 - Ray Lewis fails to post a single interception (after grabbing 6 the previous year), and injury forces him to miss the final game of the season; the Ravens also fail to make the playoffs after winning the division in the 2003–2004 season
- 2006 - Donovan McNabb suffers sports hernia in first game and undergoes season-ending surgery in November; T.O. feud escalates; Eagles finish 6–10 after reaching the Super Bowl the previous year
- 2007 - Shaun Alexander fractures left foot in Week 3 ...