The all-in-one device was a nice dream, but we don't think it'll ever materialize. As the article mentions, designing for so many uses means that you can't design well for each individual application. A circular wheel might work well for scrolling through songs, but it's weak for traditional games.
Consoles walk a fine line between gaming machines and all-in-one devices. Even the Wii plays photos and MP3s (poorly). Are game companies trying for the all-in-one grail, or just grafting extra features onto a console to drive sales?
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Sony PlayStation Portable PSP-2000
Nintendo Wii console
Microsoft Xbox One
Microsoft Xbox 1st-gen