Not so. The computer's owner, mattyb, states that his MacBook did not contain a recalled battery, and that it was sleeping on a shelf when he and his girlfriend were roused in the middle of night by the smell of smoke and burning. Sure enough, the MacBook and the magazine that had been sitting next to it were the culprits.
mattyb also says that the MacBook's battery had been exhibiting flaky behavior for some time before the incident (like rapid discharge, an "X" icon, etc.).
Oops. It's like Deja Vu all over again.