With its advanced and "esoteric" cell architecture, the PS3 has certainly developed a reputation for being a bit hard to develop for. As coders actually begin to spend more time with the mighty black monolith, the tone regarding the PS3's development challenges seems to be shifting. Now we're starting to hear praise.
The developer of the upcoming multiplayer platformer, LittleBigPlanet, is all candy-and-roses when it comes to game creation on the console: "The PS3 has this insane quantity of power, which seems to take a cloth simulator, and then lots more you want to throw at it. It's just a really enjoyable machine to code for."
Media Molecule does caution that developers need to approach the PS3 with fresh code, as bringing your legacy code base will present some significant frustrations.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25