This week we'll be considering a fight against Blackwing Lair's Chromaggus and Karazhan's Shade of Aran. Curious about how these two fight -- or ready to voice your opinion on which would come out ahead? Read on!
- up-front fire damage
- nature damage over time as well as armor reduction
- up-front frost damage as well as an 80% attack speed reduction
- fire damage over time (can stack)
- 6-second stun
- fire damage over time, which heals Chromaggus if the target dies
- nature damage over time as well as a reduction in healing
- reduced movement and casting speed as well as a mana drain
- fire damage increased by 100% (painful with the wrong combination of breaths)
- an intermittent stun
The Shade of Aran can be found in Karazhan. Instead of relying on melee combat, he's a powerful magic user -- and like any good mage, he has relatively low health and armor, but has a high capacity for damage. In his magical arsenal are:
- frostbolt, doing frost damage with a 3-second slow
- fireball, doing up-front fire damage
- arcane missiles, a channeled spell doing arcane damage
- chains of ice, a 10-second root
- slow, which reduces movement and melee attack speed for 10 seconds
- an AoE counterspell which locks down a school of magic for 6 seconds
- flame wreath, a fire AoE that's dangerous for a player-based raid, but in a one-on-one fight like this, would just be a fire AoE
- blizzard, a frost damage AoE with a slow
- super arcane explosion, which is just what it sounds like -- a lot of arcane damage
At 20% mana, he'll polymorph his opponents and stop to drink for 10 seconds to restore his mana, followed by a pyroblast. (If his drinking is interrupted -- say, if Chromaggus is immune to polymorph) -- he'll just use a potion to bring his mana up and follows it with the same pyroblast.
After 12 minutes, he'll berserk and summon Shadows of Aran, who have various high-damage AoE abilities and will quickly wipe a player raid.
With both bosses' abilities described, it's now your turn -- tell us which of them you think would emerge victorious from this fight! But remember, this isn't just a mathematical exercise! Even though Chromaggus is in a lower-level dungeon, we'd like you to consider him to have approximately the same power as Shade of Aran.