Though we've been remiss on scheduling recently, the goal is still to bring you an exciting new episode of Two Bosses Enter
every week. What's Two Bosses Enter? We're glad you asked! TBE is WoW Insider's series of fantasy boss deathmatches where each week we pit two of the World of Warcraft
's most dangerous bosses against each other -- and you vote to tell us who would walk away the winner. Two bosses enter our challenge every week, but only one gets to leave. This week we're pitting C'Thun against Mother Shahraz... and if you're curious to see who walks away a winner and who doesn't walk away at all, keep reading!
C'Thun is the final boss in Ahn'Qiraj, an old god considered to be one of the most difficult pre-Burning Crusade
encounters. The fight has two phases, a standard DPS phase one where you run C'Thun's health from 100% rto 0% and a phase two where C'Thun takes almost no damage -- but wil occasionally C'Thun takes out his opponents with high nature and shadow damage along with tentacle power. In a fight with C'Thun, you can expect to encounter the following abilities:
- Eye Beam: A nature damage attack that targets a single player, but jumps from the first player to subsequent players in range with increasing damage each jump.
- Dark Glare: An incredibly high damage (read: no player could survive it) shadow attack that sweeps 180 degrees across the room.
- Eye Tentacles: These tentacles spawn at intervals throughout the fight. Individually, they have low health, but they spawn in groups and do a Mind Flay-type spell. (With generally meaner "giant" versions spawning in phase two.)
- Claw Tentacles: These tentacles also spawn at intervals throughout the fight and have low health. However, unlike the Eye Tentacles, these do melee damage. (With generally meaner "giant versions spawning in phase two.)
- Stomach of C'Thun: In phase two, tentacles will swallow players and send them to C'Thun's stomach. As you might imagine, it's not a friendly place, and every few seconds damaging debuffs will stack on anyone inside. There's an easy exit from the stomach, but killing Flesh Tentacles inside the stomach weakens C'Thun, allowing him to be hurt and killed -- so you might want to stick around.
As you can see, it's a fight requiring a lot of coordination from a player raid. Will Mother Shahraz be able to overcome C'Thun's defenses? Let's see...
Mother Shahraz deals high shadow and physical damage (for player raids, she's a shadow resist fight), but she also has the Chromaggus-like ability to reduce incoming magical damage from a random school of magic.
- Sinful/Sinister/Vile/Wicked Beam: An attack that targets a random player and jumps to nearby players in range. It can do direct shadow damage; knockback and shadow damage; shadow damage over time; or a mana burn. Shahraz will use random beams throughout the fight.
- Fatal Attraction: Teleports 1 to 3 players to a random location and deals increasing amounts of shadow damage over time to them and everyone around them. The damage stops as soon as the players are 25 yards away from one another.
- Saber Lash: A frontal cleave-like attack that does high physical damage divided evenly amongst all affected targets.
- Prismatic Aura: Every 15 seconds, Shahraz switches auras. Each aura reduces the damage done by one school of magic by 25%, but increases the damage done by another school of magic by 25%.
Both of these bosses can dish out damage... but which one would take out the other first? It's nearly time for you to weigh in with your vote, but before that, a reminder: we're considering these two bosses with approximately equal health and approximately equal damage output capabilities. We aren't making this into a math equation of who's got more health than who, so when you cast your vote, cast it on fighting style, not highest level.