The occasion for this particular post is that they have just completed some major upgrades to their software and infrastructure. Here are the highlights:
- WoWWiki is now hosted in a distributed fashion across the Wikia network, which should mean more stability and less chance of catastrophic failure.
- A new default skin, which looks nice and classy.
- The OpenSearch plugin is now working again, so you can add WoWWiki as a search engine in Firefox or IE (though I still prefer Firefox's search keywords). Click on the menu by your search field while browsing WoWWiki to check it out.
- A proper sidebar menu, with links to important parts of the site. This fixes my single biggest complaint about the site, which is that it was hard to navigate.
- The sidebar is also now customizable; users can pick which widgets they want to see over there, and in what order. This is very cool.
- A new version of MediaWiki, which brings many feature improvements and bug fixes.