"We don't talk enough" about Sony's "future-proofing" strategy, she admits. "With the recession, as people are ... on tighter budgets, they're going to be much more conscious of how they spend their money." Sony must now try and communicate to consumers directly why the PS3 is a better option for them, even if it is more expensive.
In spite of Microsoft's price drop, Sony has no plans to follow suit just yet. In fact, they're rather confident about the upcoming holiday season. "We're really confident that consumers are making choices driven by value," she says, "and we know PS3 offers that value across the board, with the built-in Blu-ray player the broadest and deepest software lineup in the industry, with LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Motorstorm [Pacific Rift]... we're quite confident our holiday sales will be good."
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25