The sluggish global economy is being blamed for the lowered expectations for Blu-ray. With recessions hitting most economies in the world, consumers may be reluctant to purchase a high-definition entertainment system. "The only dark cloud is the economy," David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, told a panel. However, he added the consumer products side of Sony Corp. is "showing no slowdown in the adoption of the PlayStation 3."
To help spur sales, Blu-ray players have been going on sale, and players can be found for less than $200. Sony is also confident it will be able to sell 4-5 million PS3s from now until March. "We remain pretty confident that we'll meet our targets for the fiscal year," said Julie Han, spokeswoman for Sony Computer Entertainment America.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25