We weren't kidding when we said Wrath of the Lich King would be the biggest MMO expansion the industry has ever seen. This is reaffirmed in a recent article at Ars Technica written by Ben Kuchera, who writes, "This isn't a game as much as it's a juggernaut of money-making power..." Kuchera sources info from Massively's sister site WoW Insider, who got their hands on a leaked internal email from EB Games detailing just how significant Wrath has been, from a business standpoint at GameStop. Kuchera breaks down a few of the highlights:
- The week of the game's launch was the biggest sales week of the year.
- It was also the biggest sales week ever, outside of the previous year's Christmas sales.
- The Wrath launch was the biggest launch in GameStop's history.
- Wrath of the Lich King set a new record for presales.
- Wrath day-one sales exceed that of any game they've ever sold.
|One of Azeroth's millions of citizens? Check out our ongoing coverage of the World of Warcraft, and be sure to touch base with our sister site WoW Insider for all your Lich King needs!|