Massively is LFM! We're looking to expand our ranks with an MMO-loving writer (or two). So let's cut the small talk and get right down to business.
Please read this entire post before submitting any kind of application. I know it's long, but to do this job, you need to be able to read and follow instructions. Proving that you can starts right now.
We're looking for someone with:
- A passion for MMORPGs. You don't have to play every game, but you will need to be able to write intelligently about more than just your favorite game.
- A good grasp of the English language. Excellent spelling and grammar are required -- and the ability to form words without any numbers in them is a major plus. Remember that we're going to assume that the writing in your application is an example of the best writing you're capable of. Once we see a spelling mistake, grammatical error, or typo, we stop reading. Those who can't keep track of the difference between "its" and "it's" need not apply.
- Prolificacy. We're looking for people who will be a significant presence on the site. Anyone applying should be available and writing on a daily basis.
- Basic (or better) computer skills. The job requires a bit of HTML knowledge and a bit of image editing ability.
- Work eligibility. You must be eligible to work wherever you're writing from. We can, and often do, contract writers from outside the US. The only caveat is that people outside of the US must have a bank account and be able to accept payments by wire transfer. And before you ask: yes, this and all other positions on Massively are paid. We do not accept volunteer work.
- Absolutely no attachments. Every time we receive a weird document format that we can't open, somewhere a kitten cries. Please include all information in the body of your e-mail.
- Your full name in the subject line.
- Your city and state. (If outside of the US, include country as well.)
- Contact information, including email address and any instant messenger addresses.
- Availability information -- when and how often you think you'll be able to post.
- An explanation of why you think you're the right person for the job.
- Some information about your background in MMORPGs. What games do you currently play? What games have you played? Do you PvP, PvE, RP? We need to know!
- Three sample posts about MMO-related news, culture, or opinion -- in the style of a typical Massively post.
- Three links to posts on Massively that you feel exemplify our best content.
- Three suggestions for improving Massively.