Apple appears to be aiming right at the Flip market with its release of the updated iPod nano today. A quick rundown includes:
- Storage capacity: 8GB for $149USD, 16GB for $179USD.
- 2.2-inch color display. 240-by-376-pixel resolution at 204 pixels per inch.
- Battery: 24 hour playback for audio, 5 hours for video
- Video camera. H.264 VGA video, 640 by 480 pixels, up to 30 frames per second with AAC audio. Real-time special effects include: Sepia, Black and White, X-Ray, Film Grain, Thermal, Security Cam, Cyborg, Bulge, Kaleido, Motion Blur, Mirror, Light Tunnel, Dent, Stretch, and Twirl
- FM radio featuring iTunes tagging and live pausing (for those who still like to listen to Delilah.)
- Pedometer and accelormeter
- Built-in mic and speaker with voice memos
- Genius features
- Voice Over kit featuring a multiple number of languages
- Variety of colors, but two of those colors -- yellow and red -- are in-store only.
- Environmental features: Arsenic-free glass, BFR-free, Mercury-free, PVC-free
[For those who are asking -- as far as we can tell from the spec, the iPod nano will not shoot still pictures, only video. We'll be able to confirm this later today.]