Sorry, no Android 2.0 here (yet), but Verizon's version of the HTC Hero is now getting its first over-the-air update. Known by its affection title of Droid Eris ROM:1.16.605.1, the patch is more or less the usual minor tweaks and improvements, although those who like to dramatically hang up on someone should be advised that the phone goes into screensaver while on call, and two presses of the End key will be required to exit the mode and then conclude said conversation. The week-long rollout starts at midnight ET tonight, but as usual, it could take up to a week to hit your system. Full patch notes after the break.
- While on a call and the device is in screensaver mode, pressing the End key now takes the device out of screensaver mode, and a second press will end the call.
- On-call mute and speakerphone icon functionality is enhanced.
- Upgraded functionality after activation eliminates the delay users were experiencing in receiving their first call.
- Device now switches effectively from 1x mode to 3G.
- Device no longer requires users to reselect a default email after power-cycling.
- SMS and MMS messaging delivery is improved.
- Eighty-character MMS/SMS message subject lines are now allowed.
- Improved picture messaging functionality allows messages from LG phones to be opened.