Are you passionate about your favorite MMO? Do you have a particular skill with the written word? We're looking to expand our ranks with a few MMO-loving writers, and if you answer yes to both of those questions, we want to hear from you.
Please read this entire post before submitting any kind of application. I know it's long, but to do this job, you need to be able to read and follow instructions. Proving that you can starts right now.
Currently, we're looking to expand our team with three new additions: two specific game columnists and an editor. These positions can best be explained as:
- Warhammer Online columnist
- Star Wars: The Old Republic columnist
- West Coast Editor
If you consider yourself a shoo-in for any of these three positions, keep reading. Additional game columns may be considered at a later date, but please don't send us applications for games not listed here. They will be deleted.
We're looking for someone with:
- An excellent grasp of the English language. Superb spelling and grammar are required -- and the ability to form words without any numbers in them is a major plus. Remember that we're going to assume that the writing in your application is an example of the best writing you're capable of. Once we see a spelling mistake, grammatical error, or typo, we stop reading. Those who can't keep track of the difference between "its" and "it's" need not apply. Although you make this process much easier for us when you write about how much you love "MMO's".
- Punctuality. As a columnist, you will be expected to produce a 1000-1500-word article once a week, on your specified day. As an editor, you will be expected to treat the job as a full-time job, even though you will essentially be working from home.
- Basic (or better) computer skills. The job requires a bit of HTML knowledge and a bit of image editing ability.
- Work eligibility. You must be eligible to work wherever you're writing from. We can, and often do, contract writers from outside the US. The only caveat is that people outside of the US must have a bank account and be able to accept payments by wire transfer. And before you ask: yes, this and all other positions on Massively are paid. We do not accept volunteer work.
- Full contact information, including:
- Full Name
- Full Address
- Any instant messenger names where you can be reached.
- The position for which you are applying in your email title.
- Background for your game of choice
- List of characters, classes, levels and any important achievements in game. Don't be afraid to brag a bit.
- When did you start playing?
- What specific goals do you have for your character(s)?
- For columnists only: Ten sample topics you will explore in your column. For each topic include a sentence or two explaining what the topic is and why it's compelling content that Massively would want to produce.
- For columnists only: A sample first column of around 500 words. Even though we require our columns to be at least 1,000 words, 500 words will allow us to get a feel for your writing. We get many applications -- please do not write a novel.