Sony's response doesn't offer console sales numbers, but Patrick Seybold commented on increased momentum for the company's PlayStation Move motion controller. "The PS3 Move Bundle had a 15-percent increase in sales since launch last month, and we're working hard to keep the inventory up across the country to meet strong consumer demand." In addition, Seybold reminded us of the impending launch of Sony's big holiday game: "With next week's launch of the industry's most anticipated title, Gran Turismo 5, we're sure to carry the momentum through the holidays."
Nintendo, as of the time of publishing, had not offered comment.
Software sales jumped 6 percent year-over-year for the month to $605 million. The multiplatform release of NBA 2K11 helped propel it to the top of the charts, undoubtedly aided by EA Sports' cancellation of NBA Elite 11. Fallout, Medal of Honor and Fable all made strong debuts -- but Rock Band 3's 15th-place position in sales has us concerned. NPD analyst Anita Frazier did make a special note in the report, assuring us that "this game has the potential to perform well over the holidays."
The top-ten software breakdown is posted after the break.
Top 10 bestselling games for October 2010:
1. NBA 2K11 - 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, DS - Take 2 Interactive
2. Fallout: New Vegas - 360, PS3, PC - Bethesda Softworks
3. Medal of Honor - 360, PS3, PC - Electronic Arts
4. Fable III - 360 - Microsoft
5. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - 360, PS3, Wii, PC, DS - LucasArts
6. Halo: Reach - 360 - Microsoft
7. Just Dance 2 - Wii - Ubisoft
8. FIFA Soccer 11 - PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, PSP, NDS, PC
9. Madden NFL 11 - 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP
10. WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 - PS3, 360, PS2, Wii, PSP
Also, did anyone else notice that there are no Nintendo published games in the top 10? This may be the first time this has happened since the GameCube days.
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Sony PlayStation Portable PSP-2000
Nintendo Wii console
Microsoft Xbox One