The achievement says "squad" for a reason: Grouping up multiplies the amount of critters you kill. Bring a friend to get double credit. Bring a 40-man raid to get a whopping 40 kills for every eviscerated ewe. It's not yet clear whether this is intended. Some people believe this "cheat" will be hotfixed, but considering some of the other issues Blizzard is dealing with right now, I doubt this is riding on top of the priority list.
Target density is key
Some areas are more critter-rich than others. Here are a few of the denser population centers:
Engage in some PvC
- Terrorweb Tunnel This cavern in Eastern Plaguelands is chock-full of creepy crawlies.
- Zul'Gurub Now a questing area in Northern Stranglethorn for characters of level 30-35, this subzone has convenient clusters of snakes.
- Northrend icebergs Around the coastal areas of Northrend are icebergs full of helpless penguins. The southern coasts around Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord have the biggest concentrations. You can also find some in the hills around the Argent Tournament.
- Akhenet Fields In central Uldum, there is a small farm with four flocks of sheep. Each flock has about 10 sheep, and they are so close together that you can blow them all up with one spell. It's probably not the best place to camp critters, but the location makes it an ideal spot to chalk up a few dozen more kills in mere seconds as you pass by it.
- Stonecore This dungeon is accessible once you can enter Deepholm at level 82. Shale hatchlings are so rampant that you can't help but squash a few on every run. If you target them on purpose, however, you can really rack up the score here.
- Capital cities Orgrimmar 2.0 is swarming with critters. Bored waiting for your dungeon finder queue? Why not step on some lizards? For Alliance, the Deeprun Tram is swarming with rats that respawn quickly.
Capitol cities are great areas for passive critter extermination. That's right -- passive! Believe it or not, there are two ways you can extinguish the fragile lives of bunnies and chipmunks while completely AFK. The first is PvC: pet versus critter combat. At least four noncombat pets will target and eliminate nearby critters:
There may be others, but those are the ones I could dig up. As of right now, pet kills do
count toward the guild achievement. Unfortunately, they aren't the most accessible pets. The first two require real-world cash to obtain from the Blizzard Store. The other two are only available from holiday events.
Snacks of doom
Not content with Lil' Ragnaros' kill rate? Snack on some Stormchops
for extra AFK death. The recipe is available via the daily cooking quests offered by The Rokk
in Shattrath City. Making them requires Clefthoof Meat
, which you can farm from the various clefthooves
of Nagrand and Terokkar, and Lightning Eel
, which can be fished up most frequently from certain areas of open water
between noon and 6 p.m. server time. Chow down and park yourself in a critter-friendly area for some free splats.
Knee-deep in murder
Sorry, Horde -- this one is for Alliance only. I haven't tested this myself, but I've seen reports of a quest in the Worgen starting area where you are supposed to repel a horde of ravenous spiders and rats with a torch. If you murder them instead, you can rack up a huge critter score. You must be a Worgen phased in to the quest Knee-Deep
in order to see the critters. Anyone else who visits the area won't see them.
Beware, though -- these critters do pack a punch in numbers, so warriors or druids (in bear form) may have the easiest time with it. Just make sure you get invited to the guild prior to the slaughter!
What's not a critter?
Some NPCs that seem like critters may not actually count toward the achievement. These include:
Is your guild powering through this achievement? What tactics did you use?
Join us to learn how to survive the leveling process, deal with guild perk freeloaders, and discuss the guild talent controversy or the guild reputation system. Send Scott your guild-related questions and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org; you may find your question the subject of next week's Officers' Quarters!