Welcome back to the Cataclysm daily quests series! Previously, we looked at daily quest basics and profession dailies and the daily quests in Deepholm. Today, we'll examine the world PvP hub of Cataclysm, Tol Barad, and the first half of its wealth of daily quests.
Tol Barad Basics: The zone, the quests, the battle
Much like Wintergrasp in Wrath of the Lich King, Tol Barad is a PvP area that can be held by either the Alliance or the Horde. Control of the area is contested at roughly two-hour intervals; the next battle begins exactly two hours after the previous battle ended. The winning faction is eligible to fight a raid boss, just like Vault of Archavon in Wintergrasp, but that's where the similarities end.
The Tol Barad zone is reachable through a portal in either Stormwind or Orgrimmar and contains portals back to those capital cities for members of their respective factions. The area is broken up into two zones: Tol Barad and Tol Barad Peninsula. The latter, Tol Barad Peninsula, is an uncontested zone with camps for each faction. The NPCs here give daily quests regardless of who wins the battleground, and the quests are exactly the same for both factions. Note that Tol Barad Peninsula is not a forced PvP zone the way Wintergrasp was; if you play on a normal (non-PvP) server, you will not be automatically flagged when entering the zone.
Tol Barad proper is where the battles for control take place. When your faction has control of Tol Barad, you gain the opportunity to complete extra dailies above and beyond those available on the Peninsula. This gives the controlling faction an advantage in terms of reputation and Tol Barad Commendations that they can earn each day. The mechanics of the battleground itself are beyond the scope of this article, but suffice it to say that if you are interested in Tol Barad reputation and commendations (which you should be), you will want your faction to control it at least once per day so that you are able to complete all the quests.
Tol Barad Peninsula: Permanently available dailies
The two factions vying for control in Tol Barad, Baradin's Wardens (Alliance) and Hellscream's Reach (Horde), have their own camps in Tol Barad Peninsula that are accessible regardless of which faction controls the PvP battleground area. These camps are easy to access via portals from Stormwind and Orgrimmar, respectively, and feature portals back to the capitals. This is the only way to reach Tol Barad. NPCs at the caps will offer a random selection of six daily quests out of a possible 22 quests, and these quests will send you all over the peninsula. For the sake of brevity, the links below are for the Alliance version of each quest. The Horde version is exactly the same, but given by a Horde NPC.
- A Sticky Task Collect 4 Sticky Silk Glands from Darkwood Broodmothers. Watch out for the Darkwood Lurkers; it's easy to get overwhelmed when the Broodmother moves around during combat.
- Thinning the Brood Kill 12 Darkwood Lurkers. It's easiest to pull these to the edges of the area, on the path, so you don't get the Broodmothers as well.
- Cannonball! Collect 4 Stacks of Cannonballs. These are items on the ground at the top of the hill. Sometimes, but not always, you will loot two Stacks of Cannonballs from one item.
- Ghostbuster Kill 14 Largo's Overlook ghosts. The ghost horses do not count, but like any neutral mob, they will aggro if you accidentally AoE near them.
- Taking the Overlook Back Kill Commander Largo. He can be found at the top of the left-hand tower when you come up the hill into the Overlook area.
- Not the Friendliest Town Kill 14 Rustberg Village residents. Any of the residents count. Watch out for the stealthed Rustberg Bandits.
- Teach a Man to Fish... Or Steal Obtain 22 Rustberg Seabass. These can be looted from the fish racks on the docks in the rear of the village, or from the Rustberg Fishermen when they die.
- Boosting Morale Loot 6 Barrels of Southsea Rum. These are underwater in and around the wrecked ships.
- Captain P. Harris Kill Captain P. Harris, a named undead.
- Rattling Their Cages Kill 8 Shipwrecked Sailors on the beach.
- Shark Tank Kill Tank, a level 85 elite shark. Some classes can solo this, but most will prefer a group. Can easily be duoed at 85.
- Claiming the Keep Kill Keep Lord Farson.
- Leave No Weapon Behind Collect 12 Rusty Rifles around Farson Hold.
- Walk a Mile In Their Shoes Escort a Farson Prisoner to safety. Follow and protect the NPC as it makes its way out of the hold.
- Bomb's Away! Destroy 10 Wellson Supply Boats using the cannons on the dock. The distance and speed of the boat will affect where you should aim to hit them. Mobs will sometimes attack while you're shooting; just kill them and get back in a cannon to finish.
- WANTED: Foreman Wellson Kill Foreman Wellson.
- Watch Out For Splinters! Collect 15 pieces of Shipyard Lumber, either from the ground or from killing the ghosts in the area.
- Finish The Job Kill 5 Restless Infantry. These mobs are locked in combat with comparable but differently named mobs that do not count for the quest. When you kill each Restless Infantry, the mob it was fighting will regain full health and attack you; either kill it or (carefully) run away.
- Magnets, How Do They Work? Collect 7 Siege Engine Scraps. Use the quest item provided to reveal the scraps, which are predictably around the siege engines. When you complete the quest, the quest item will not disappear; you'll have to destroy it manually if you want your bag slot back.
- First Lieutenant Connor Kill First Lieutenant Connor.
- Salvaging the Remains Loot 9 Cursed Femurs from the ghouls in the area.
- The Forgotten Examine 6 Forgotten Soldier's Tombstones.
Next time, we'll look at the dailies available to the faction controlling Tol Barad proper and the very desirable rewards.
Read the entire WoW Insider Cataclysm Daily Quest Guide series!
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm has destroyed Azeroth as we know it; nothing is the same! In WoW Insider's Guide to Cataclysm, you can find out everything you need to know about WoW's third expansion, from leveling up a new goblin or worgen to breaking news and strategies on endgame play.