A similar cut in Japan (effective August 11) will take the system from ¥25,000 (around $317) to ¥15,000 ($190).
The steep profit reduction isn't Nintendo's only glaring concern, as the company couldn't regain investor confidence after announcing the Wii U at E3 and its stock currently sits at five-year lows.
For the first quarter ending June 30, Nintendo saw its net sales cut by half from the same period last year to ¥93 billion ($1.2B), causing a ¥38 billion ($489M) loss in operating income, with a net loss for the quarter staying relatively even to last year's at ¥26 billion ($334M).
- Key specs
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Nintendo DS Lite
Nintendo Wii console