There's this mage on my realm who's always at the mailbox around the corner from the main Auction House in Stormwind right about the time I play another of my alts. I'm not talking about any of the mailboxes right there in the little square -- I'm talking about the one through the archway by the canal, toward the fishing quest area. Yeah, kinda out of the way, right? It's always at odd hours, when not many people are around. I can't help but notice her when she's there.
For a long time, I assumed that Mailbox Mage was just another banker alt, but then I noticed that she's actually leveling at a glacial pace. Now, as someone currently bringing up several alts simultaneously to try to sample all the revamped leveling storylines and zones, I can attest in no uncertain terms that sneezing too many times in a row nowadays will cause you to level. Mailbox Mage, though, plays pretty regularly. From what I can see, she logs in for a couple of hours at a time several times a week. She comes and goes, always heading off in different directions; she's obviously busy doing something. So I took a peek at her character profile -- instance runs and activity galore! I've come to the conclusion that that she's periodically freezing her XP, gobbling up every last bit of content in each level range before moving on.
Now that's a player I'd like to talk with for an article -- except Mailbox Mage is apparently also a determined roleplayer and politely rebuffs any attempt to engage in out-of-character conversation. No interview for me ...
Here's where I need help from you, WoW Insiders. I'm lining up a bunch of interesting player features for the new year, and I need to find these fascinating WoW people! Here's who I'm looking for (many more after the break):
- The all-rogue guild I played in an all-rogue gank squad of all rogues for a while. One or another new content release broke up our team, but it one of the most amazingly fun times I've ever had in WoW. Is your group rogue-only?
- The charitable type We've all heard of Child's Play, the gaming industry charity dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and games. Do you know anyone who's come up with another way to use WoW to raise funds for a charitable cause?
- The success story Are you an artist, blogger, designer, modder or other WoW hobbyist whose WoW-centric projects have helped catapult you into your chosen profession?
- The home decorator Some people just can't help showing their Horde, Alliance or overall Azerothian pride. Do you know someone whose home decor makes more than passing reference to Azeroth?
- The all-druid guild I know, you guys do it all. Drop me a line and tell me how!
- The kiting king We know they're out there -- players who see every new NPC as an opportunity in kiting. Tell us about your most impressive feats of kiting!
- The old hand We're looking for an A-team raider who's 55+ years old and still doing hard modes with the best of them.
- The battle-scarred veteran Who taught you the ropes in the Arena? We want to talk to your battle-hardened mentor.
- The AH PVPer The frenzy of the trading floor is where it's at for you. Are you an Auction House wheeler and dealer?
- That guy with the website Who's writing about WoW or making a WoW-related website or mod or cartoon or machinima or service that you'd like to know more about? Drop me a line and tell me who you think is fascinating!
- Mailbox Mage That's right -- if you happen to be friends with Mailbox Mage, you know what to do ...
"I never thought of playing WoW like that!" -- and neither did we, until we talked with these players, from a player battling Alzheimer's disease to Game of Thrones' Hodor (Kristian Nairn), gaming industry insider Liz Danforth and El of El's Extreme Anglin'. Know someone else we should feature? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.