I eventually tracked down the dress for myself four or five months later, but once I had it, I really had no idea what to do with it. It was pretty enough on its own to be a stand-alone outfit, and years before transmogrification, there was no compelling reason to try and match it to anything -- at least until recently, when my boyfriend followed up on a promise to take me to Serpentshrine Cavern. I had never seen the place and wanted an escort who had raided it when it was still new. While we were there, I picked up a pretty little tanking mace called Mallet of the Tides, which just so happened to match the Arachnidian Robes perfectly. Thus, a transmog outfit was born.
With that as my introduction, I decided I'd do something a bit different for this week's transmog column. Just as I did, I now want you to create a transmogrification outfit of your own that builds on or complements a single piece of gear (armor or weapon) that you like. Submit your outfit by Aug. 20 at 11:59 p.m. EDT and you'll have the chance to win fabulous prizes and have your outfit featured here on WoW Insider. More details after the jump.
Anyone can enter this contest, but there are a few guidelines to follow.
- Your submission must include (1.) a picture of the outfit in .jpg or .png file format, (2.) a list of all the items used, and (3.) a notation on which item the outfit is based around.
- The theme item must be included in the transmog.
- Your submission must be a complete transmog that follows armor class rules (all cloth, all plate, etc.) This means no RP outfits that blend different armor types, use items which can't be transmogged, or leave out certain pieces (like shoulders or gloves).
- The picture can be created from an in-game screenshot or using WoW Model Viewer, but please do not adjust the colors or contrast of your image or add visual effects. Outfits should appear as they do in game.
- Please include your name and how you'd like to be credited. You can use your real name or an alias. If you'd like your guild or server to be mentioned, include that as well.
The aforementioned fabulous prizes, by the way, will be loot card codes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game. May the best transmog win!
Patch 4.3 lets you transmogrify your gear to look like any other gear your class can wear -- but you have to collect it first. Check out our coverage of transmogrification and start running those old dungeons!