When you get your priest to level 90, gearing up your character will probably be one of the many things on your mind. Your first inclination may be to run heroic dungeons, but what if your item level isn't high enough to use the dungeon finder? Maybe you're looking beyond that, and wondering what you'll need to queue for the raid finder when it becomes available in the next two weeks.
Or, if you're like me, you're probably scouring Pandaria, trying to find all the best possible items outside of raids, so that your raid leader likes you when you start running normal mode raids in the near future.
Well, whether you're a shadow priest or a holy priest, this is the guide for you.
Queuing for heroic dungeons:
The easiest way is time sensitive. This year's Brewfest runs until Oct. 13 and the usual fight against Coren Direbrew has been updated to grant ilvl 470 trinkets. Snatch up two of these trinkets and they'll likely boost your item level up
The DPS trinket for shadow priests is Mithril Wristwatch, while the healing trinket for holy and discipline priests is Thousand-Year Pickled Egg. Even if you only play as one spec normally, I recommend getting both just to boost your item level. If you're really impatient, you can even grab one of the two stamina trinkets: Bubbliest Brightbrew Charm or Bitterest Balebrew Charm. The tank you're running with might hate you for it, but I've honestly seen players grabbing up all sorts of trinkets they can't even use. When the runs take as little time as they do, and can be run over and over for gear, I guess it's not that big of a deal to most people.
Contender's PvP gear
If two Brewfest trinkets don't get your item level up to
- Head Contender's Silk Cowl or Contender's Satin Cowl (spirit) 5 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 25 Windwool Cloth
- Shoulders Contender's Silk Amice (hit) or Contender's Satin Amice (spirit) 4 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 20 Windwool Cloth
- Chest Contender's Silk Raiment or Contender's Satin Raiment (spirit) 5 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 25 Windwool Cloth
- Wrists Contender's Silk Cuffs (hit) or Contender's Satin Cuffs (spirit) 3 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 15 Windwool Cloth
- Hands Contender's Silk Handwraps (hit) or Contender's Satin Handwraps (spirit) 4 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 20 Windwool Cloth
- Waist Contender's Silk Belt (hit) or Contender's Satin Belt (spirit) 4 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 20 Windwool Cloth
- Legs Contender's Silk Pants or Contender's Satin Pants (spirit) 5 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 25 Windwool Cloth
- Feet Contender's Silk Footwraps or Contender's Satin Footwraps (spirit) 4 Bolts of Windwool Cloth or 20 Windwool Cloth
If you're a tailor yourself, you can purchase these patterns from two tailoring supply vendors in Vale of Eternal Blossoms: Esha the Loommaiden in Shrine of Two Moons or Raishen the Needle in Shrine of Seven Stars. Each pattern costs one Spirit of Harmony, but unless you plan on selling the Contender's gear yourself, I wouldn't personally recommending spending Spirit of Harmony on these patterns. Instead, save your Spirit of Harmony to make Imperial Silk and find another tailor to craft the Contender's gear for you.
Normal mode dungeons
Mogu'shan Palace is the only normal mode dungeon which drops ilvl 450 gear. If you don't have the gold or cloth to buy Contender's gear, you have the option of running Mogu'shan Palace for the following items.
- Neck Mindcapture Pendant (spirit) Xin the Weaponmaster
- Shoulders Regal Silk Shoulderpads (spirit) Xin the Weaponmaster
- Back Cloak of Cleansing Flame Gekkan
- Hands Conflagrating Gloves (hit) Random boss drop
- Feet Soulbinder Treads Xin the Weaponmaster
- Main-hand weapon Firescribe Dagger Xin the Weaponmaster
You can also get an ilvl 450 weapon from completing The Arena of Annihilation. This scenario is the current expansion's equivalent of The Ring of Blood. The rewards you can choose between as a priest are Jol'Grum's Frozen Mace and Liuyang's Lovely Longstaff.
Dread Wastes quests
I mentioned earlier that you'd get a few ilvl 450 items from questing in Dread Wastes. If you did not complete Dread Wastes, either because you leveled through dungeons or by completing each prior zone before moving on, you may want to go collect the following items if you don't want to spend resources on Contender's gear.
- Shoulders Dreadspinner Amice or Motherseed Mantle Reward from The Mariner's Revenge
- Waist Dreadspinner Cord (hit) or Motherseed Cord (spirit) Reward from Overthrone
- Feet Dreadspinner Treads (hit) or Motherseed Treads (spirit) Reward from Fires and Fears of Old
Justice point gear
You may purchase the following items with justice points from the justice quartermaster, Commander Lo Ping in Townlong Steppes. Previous reputation requirements have been removed.
- Neck Necklace of Jade Pearls (hit) or Pendant of Endless Inquisition (spirit) (1,250 justice points)
- Back Cloak of Ancient Curses (hit) or Pressed Flower Cloak (spirit) (1,250 justice points)
- Chest Robe of Eternal Dynasty (hit) or Robe of Quiet Meditation (spirit) (2,250 justice points)
- Wrists Tranquility Bindings or Bracers of Eternal Resolve (spirit) (1,250 justice points
- Hands Krompf's Fine-Tuning Gloves (hit) or Emperor's Riding Gloves (spirit) (1,750 justice points)
- Legs Leggings of Unfinished Conquest (hit) or Subversive Leggings (spirit) (2,250 justice points)
- Fingers Etched Golden Loop (hit) and/or Sorcerer-King's Seal (spirit) (1,250 justice points)
- Trinket Mogu Rune of Paralysis (1,750 justice points)
Starting raids and queuing for raid finder: ilvl 463
When you start raiding, be it in normal modes with your guild or through the raid finder with a pug, you'll be aiming for an average item level of 463. If you're with your guild, obviously you can be a little under that, but you must have that ilvl to queue for the raid finder. Below you'll find all the heroic dungeon drops you'll want to track down to get ready for raiding.
- Fallout-Filtering Hood (spirit) Saboteur Kip'tilak in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Whitemane's Embroidered Chapeau High Inquisitor Whitemane in Scarlet Monastery
- Barovian Ritual Hood (hit) Jandice Barov in Scholomance
- Breezeswept Hood Wing Leader Ner'onok in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Pendant of Precise Timing (hit) Saboteur Kip'tilak in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Mindcapture Pendant (spirit) Xin the Weaponmaster in Mogu'shan Palace
- Temperature-Sensing Necklace Flameweaver Koegler in Scarlet Halls
- Anarchist's Pendant (hit) Instructor Chillheart in Scholomance
- Necklace of Disorientation (spirit) Sha of Violence in Shado-Pan Monastery
- Mindbreaker Pendant Sha of Doubt in Temple of the Jade Serpent
- Shoulders of Engulfing Winds Raigonn in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Regal Silk Shoulderpads (spirit) Xin the Weaponmaster in Mogu'shan Palace
- Forgotten Bloodmage Mantle Thalnos the Soulrender in Scarlet Monastery
- Whisperwind Spaulders Wing Leader Ner'onok in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Cloak of Cleansing Flame Gekkan in Mogu'shan Palace
- Scorched Earth Cloak (hit) Brother Korloff in Scarlet Monastery
- Cloak of Hidden Flasks (spirit) Hoptallus in Stormstout Brewery
- Cape of Entanglement Liu Flameheart in Temple of the Jade Serpent
- Robes of Koegler (hit) Flameweaver Koegler in Scarlet Halls
- Robes of Fevered Dreams Taran Zhu in Shado-Pan Monastery
- Frenzyswarm Bracers Raigonn in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Deadwalker Bracers (hit) Rattlegore in Scholomance
- Bombardment Bracers (spirit) Commander Vo'jak in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Bracers of Displaced Air Ook-Ook in Stormstout Brewery
- Bomber's Precision Gloves Striker Ga'dok in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Conflagrating Gloves Random boss drop in Mogu'shan Palace
- Gloves of Enraged Slaughter Sha of Violence in Shado-Pan Monastery
- Breezebinder Handwraps (spirit) General Pa'valak in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Paralyzing Gloves (spirit) Sha of Doubt in Temple of the Jade Serpent
- Incineration Belt (hit) Darkmaster Gandling in Scholomance
- Fermenting Belt (spirit) Yan-Zhu the Uncasked in Stormstout Brewery
- Girdle of Endemic Anger (hit) Random drop in Temple of the Jade Serpent
- Leggings of the Frenzy Commander Ri'mok in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Leggings of Hallowed Fire (spirit) High Inquisitor Whitemane in Scarlet Monastery
- Leggings of Unleashed Anguish Lilian Voss in Scholomance
- Soulbinder Treads Xin the Weaponmaster in Mogu'shan Palace
- Scarlet Sandals (hit) Armsmaster Harlan in Scarlet Halls
- Flameheart Sandals (spirit) Liu Flameheart in Temple of the Jade Serpent
- Viscous Ring (spirit) Commander Ri'mok in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Beastbinder Ring (spirit) Houndmaster Braun in Scarlet Halls
- Vithrak, Gaze of the Deadman (ilvl 476) Flameweaver Koegler in Scarlet Halls
- Signet of the Hidden Door (hit) Thalnos the Soulrender in Scarlet Monastery
- Triune Signet Random boss drop in Scarlet Monastery
- Eye of the Tornado (hit) Master Snowdrift in Shado-Pan Monastery
- Ring of Malice Taran Zhu in Shado-Pan Monastery
- Alemental Seal Yan-Zhu the Uncasked in Stormstout Brewery
- Vision of the Predator (damage) Striker Ga'dok in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Price of Progress (healing) Darkmaster Gandling in Scholomance
- Flashfrozen Resin Globule (hit) Vizier Jin'bak in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Vial of Ichorous Blood (spirit) General Pa'valak in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Empty Fruit Barrel (spirit, healing) Ook-Ook in Stormstout Brewery
- Carapace Breaker (spirit) Raigonn in Gate of the Setting Sun
- Firescribe Dagger Xin the Weaponmaster in Mogu'shal Palace
- Melted Hypnotic Blade Flameweaver Koegler in Scarlet Halls
- Necromantic Wand Rattlegore in Scholomance
- Je'lyu, Spirit of the Serpent (spirit, ilvl 476) Sha of Doubt in Temple of the Jade Serpent
- Bottle of Potent Potables Hoptallus in Stormstout Brewery
- Greatstaff of Righteousness High Inquisitor Whitemane in Scarlet Monastery
- Headmaster's Will (hit, ilvl 476) Darkmaster Gandling in Scholomance
- Gustwalker Staff (spirit) Wing Leader Ner'onok in Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Wort Stirring Rod (hit) Yan-Zhu the Uncasked in Stormstout Brewery
- Staff of Trembling Will Sha of Doubt in Temple of the Jade Serpent
Above and beyond: ilvl 476 and above
If you plan on raiding seriously in tier 14, there are more upgrade options available to you after heroics. Most of these items come from tailoring or are faction rewards at revered reputation. Let's start with the tailoring items first.
- Chest Spelltwister's Grand Robe or Robes of Creation (spirit) 6 Imperial Silk
- Hands Spelltwisters Gloves (hit) or Gloves of Creation (spirit) 4 Imperial Silk
The patterns for these items can be purchased with gold from the Golden Lotus quartermaster at honored reputation. They are BoE, so you may be able to find them on the auction house, but they will be very expensive since they require Imperial Silk. If you're a tailor, this is the first reason to save Spirit of Harmony (the other will be for ilvl 496 tailoring patterns that we'll talk about in a future article).
Revered faction reputation rewards
In order to purchase valor point gear, you will need to reach revered reputation with the faction that a piece of gear is associated with. This means you'll need to grind valor points and rep to purchase the items below.
- Head Firecracker Corona (hit) or Yalia's Cowl (spirit) Revered with Shado-Pan (2,250 valor points)
Neck Wire of the Wakener (hit) or Links of the Lucid (spirit)
Revered with The Klaxxi(1,250 valor points) Now only requires honored.
Shoulders Mantle of the Golden Sun (hit) or Tenderheart Shoulders (spirit)
Revered with Golden Lotus(1,750 valor points) Now only requires honored.
Back Cloak of Snow Blossoms (hit) or Sagewhisper's Wrap (spirit)
Revered with Shado-Pan(1,250 valor points) Now only requires honored.
- Chest Vestments of Thundering Skies (hit) or Robe of the Five Sisters (spirit) Revered with Golden Lotus (2,250 valor points)
Wrists Minh's Beaten Bracers (hit) or Bracers of Inlaid Jade (spirit)
Revered with The August Celestials(1,250 valor points) Now only requires honored.
- Hands Sunspeaker's Flared Gloves (hit) or Gloves of Red Feathers (spirit) Revered with The August Celestials (1,750 valor points)
- Waist Klaxxi Lash of the Orator (hit) or Klaxxi Lash of the Seeker (spirit) Revered with The Klaxxi (1,750 valor points)
- Legs Leggings of the Poisoned Soul (hit) or Poisoncrafter's Kilt (spirit) Revered with The Klaxxi (2,250 valor points)
- Feet Void Flame Slippers (hit) or Storm-Sing Sandals (spirit) Revered with The August Celestials (1,750 valor points)
- Fingers Simple Harmonius Ring (hit) and/or Leven's Circle of Hope (spirit) Revered with Golden Lotus (1,250 valor points)
- Trinket Blossom of Pure Snow and/or Scroll of Revered Ancestors (spirit) Revered with Shado-Pan (1,750 valor points)
It's open warfare between Alliance and Horde in Mists of Pandaria, World of Warcraft's next expansion. Jump into five new levels with new talents and class mechanics, try the new monk class, and create a pandaren character to ally with either Horde or Alliance. Look for expansion basics in our Mists FAQ, or dig into our spring press event coverage for more details!