More than 250 exhibitors and a plethora of media and fans are on hand at the Moscone Center this week in San Francisco, and there are a number of products that stand out. The Macworld staff cloistered themselves in their super-secret bunker to determine the absolute best out of the products on the show floor this year, and here are their choices for Best of Show:
- Belkin Thunderstorm: An iPad case with built-in speakers. The included app tweaks audio to your liking. It's available for US$199.99.
- Blue Nessie: A USB microphone that might remind some of a golf club and is designed to take the pitfalls out of recording audio, especially in places such as a crowded showroom floor. The microphone will be $100, and people can sign up to be notified when it's shipping.
- Boinx Software iStopMotion 2: A repeat winner, the update adds more audio tools and recording through the iPad mic. We've reviewed past versions of iStopMotion and always have been pleased with this app.
- Double Robotics Double: This $1,999 (after a $500 pre-order discount) robot looks like someone mated an iPad stand with a Segway. Mike Schramm took a look at it and says it's the coolest thing he's seen at Macworld this year.
- Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500: This scanner can handle 25 double-sided pages per minute and an iOS app lets you receive scanned images from the iX500 on your iPhone or iPad.
- Henge Horizontal Dock: This is another TUAW favorite. Victor Agreda wrote about another Henge product, the Gravitas, and we'll have a brief write-up of our experience with the horizontal dock later today.
- Reallusion CrazyTalk 7: Mac animation software that handles facial animation. Marry images and a voice recording to create 3D videos. Macworld reports that an iOS app will be arriving within the next few months.
- Seagate Wireless Plus: An external 1 TB hard drive that generates its own WiFi network so you can backup data from an iOS device.
- Spicebox Mauz: Mike Schramm also took a look at the Mauz, which is still raising money via Kickstarter. Despite the Best in Show status, Mike said there were some kinks to be worked out. "If Spicebox can iron out the hardware and get the software to do what they want it to do easily and responsively, the Mauz accessory could be very useful indeed," he said.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 13
- Form factor Tablet
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 9.7 inches
- Storage type Internal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery life Up to 10 hours
- Dimensions 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 in
- Weight 0.96 lb
- Announced 2014-10-16
Apple iPhone 6
Apple OS X Yosemite