Here's the skinny on us: Massively is Joystiq's geeky MMO cousin. We're owned by AOL; we're all paid, remote contractors; and we uphold a strict set of ethical standards you won't find among our rivals. We focus on high-quality writing with fair sourcing and a mix of news and features. We employ actual copyediting and editorial oversight, so you won't see trainwreck English in every headline. In short, we are the MMO site the other sites use as an RSS feed.
This position would be an awesome chance to break into paid gaming journalism if you happen to have just the right blend of Guild Wars 2 experience, availability, excellent writing skills, and passion for the MMO genre. If that describes you, then read on and apply!
Massively is seeking a Guild Wars 2 columnist. The ideal candidate possesses an expert level of knowledge and extensive experience with Guild Wars 2; he or she probably knows more than the devs about the game and is able to write about the game in a timely, nuanced manner. This is a contracted position that pays per article at a confidential rate to be disclosed during the final hiring round.
- Snappy writing skills, clean grammar, and strong self-editing talent.
- Willingness to meet a weekly quota of one 1000- to 1500-word Guild Wars 2 column per week on a fixed schedule with a hard deadline.
- Broad knowledge of multiple MMOs and how GW2 fits into the modern MMO gaming industry.
- Willingness to comply with network style and ethics standards.
- Possession of a reliable gaming computer and internet connection.
- Promptness and politeness when communicating via email, IM, and phone.
- Excellent html- and image-editing skills and basic familiarity with WYSIWYG blogging software.
- Eligibility to work wherever you reside (that's 18 and up in the U.S.; non-U.S. applicants must have a bank account and accept payments by wire transfer or PayPal).
- Availability during daytime US hours or daytime EU hours for additional online Guild Wars 2 media events.
- Interest in livestreaming and video content for Guild Wars 2 or other games.
- Familiarity with AP style guidelines and the Joystiq/Massively brand.
- Ambition to take on news, previews, and in-depth features for games outside of your comfort zone.
- Proximity to a major con city like San Francisco, LA, Austin, New York, Seattle, Boston, Seoul, or Cologne.
- Experience with the Asian gaming industry, social games, multiplayer ORPGs, MOBAs, MMOFPS titles, or other pseudo-MMOs.
- Fluency in multiple languages (Korean especially).
To apply for the position of Guild Wars 2 columnist, please email the following in an application to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Contact information, including your full name, full address, phone number, email address, and any instant messenger accounts at which you can be reached.
- A paragraph or two explaining why you're awesome for this job and should be hired.
- A paragraph discussing your gaming experience and gloat-worthy achievements.
- An abbreviated 500-word sample GW2 column in the style of a typical Massively game column (just the text).
- Titles and brief descriptions of five sample GW2 articles you'd like to write for the column.
- Three links to Massively articles that you believe exemplify our best content (and why).
- Three sample interview questions that you might pose after viewing this video.
The lead editors will review all of the submissions and select the best for interviews before we make our final decision. Because of the number of applications we usually receive for call-outs like these, we cannot respond to all submissions or acknowledge receipt of your work. Sorry 'bout that.
Feel free to leave questions in the comments or send us a tip. Good luck!