Last year's attendance stabilized at a little over 275,000, thanks to Microsoft and Nintendo's absense from the show. That was not the case this year. On top of that, we're heading into the next console cycle and gamers around the world are pumped.
Our annual roundup of official and unofficial stats can be found after the break. We also have six nights of Super Joystiq Podcast episodes to check out, all recorded in the traditional method of people who deserve better than being crowded around a microphone in a tiny German hotel room.
- 340,000 attendees, a 23 percent increase from 2012.
- 635 exhibitors from 40 countries (2012: 600 exhibitors from 40 countries; 2011: 557 exhibitors from 39 countries; 2010: 505 exhibitors from 33 countries; 2009: 458 companies attended from 31 countries).
- Croissants consumed at hotel breakfast: 40 (2012: 35).
- Liters of multivitamin juice consumed: 1 (2012: 6, 2011: 4).
- Number of times the Joystiq crew locked themselves out of their rooms: 2.
- Number of liters of Kölsch consumed by us: 3.6 liters (2012: 0.2; 2011: 8; 2010: 1.6; 2009: 6).
- Number of times "excess" was experienced: 0.
- Number of times we were confused as working for the French magazine: 0 (2012: 1; 2011: 2).
- Evenings of Turkish take-out (Turkish pizza is amazing!): 0, our place across the street was turned into a currywurst joint (2012: 2; 2011: 3).
- Number of horse images in our hotel room: 10. Same hotel room as the past three years.
- Number of Super Joystiq Podcast guests that hung out in our hotel room: 17 (2012: 13; 2011: 7).
- Number of things that went wrong during the Gamescom EA and Sony press conferences: 0. Expected karmic retribution for that amount of luck: limitless.
- Number of times we ate at the Bier Esel (Beer Donkey): 1. (2012: 3; 2011: 2).
- Number of times we had a surly waitress at the Bier Esel, but didn't care because the food was so good: 1. So saucy!
- Number of times a homeless guy asked us for for cash: 1 (2012: 4; 2011: 12; 2010: 0; 2009: 8).
- Number of times accosted by ladies on a bachelorette party for money: 1.
- Schnitzels consumed: 1.
- Number of days Sinan Kubba brought rain: 3.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Microsoft Xbox One
Sony PlayStation 4