"Sports fans know what they like. We're just trying to give them better ways to access that content in a more quickly and more user-friendly format," David Jurenka, Director of Sports at Xbox Entertainment Studios, says. Within the app, users can create a specific channel for their favorite team, and the app will even pull in their personalized data from ESPN's ScoreCenter app.
In addition to ESPN, Microsoft's new partnership with the NFL has spurned development of an NFL app for Xbox One – with NFL Network content, including Thursday Night Football and NFL Red Zone – and a fantasy football app for Xbox 360. The latter app, which allows players to log into their NFL.com fantasy teams and do just about everything they could on a computer or smartphone, should be available today. Users can adjust their lineups and watch NFL.com highlights through their Xbox 360 console. The NFL app is also coming to Xbox One in November.
ESPN and NFL on Xbox One
Microsoft is partnering with sports industry leaders to deliver transformative experiences across Xbox, Surface and Windows devices.
Experiencing sports on Xbox reimagines the way fans engage with their favorite sports, with personalized destinations bringing the best games, shows and news together, connecting fans with other fans through intuitive TV experiences such as Skype and fantasy sports, and delivering a whole new way to watch live TV. Microsoft's landmark partnership with the NFL will provide exclusive interactive NFL experiences for fans at home with Xbox One, and it will use Microsoft Surface devices and services to evolve the in-game, sideline experience for medical staff, officials and the NFL staff in the stadium. This season, we are also bringing NFL.com Fantasy Football to Xbox 360, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. Later this year, we are launching a new ESPN experience for Xbox One that builds upon our innovative history with ESPN on Xbox 360, providing sports fans with the breadth of all ESPN networks and Web content, tailored just for them.
The NFL on Xbox One. Only Xbox One delivers the best of the NFL personalized for you, in a way that will completely reimagine your football experience. It will bring live games and your fantasy team together on the best screen in the house - your TV.
• A personalized destination. Tailor your experience for your team from the best content the NFL has to offer, including NFL.com, NFL Network and NFL RedZone.
• NFL.com Fantasy Football. Xbox is the best place to track your NFL.com Fantasy Football team, and Xbox One delivers an integrated experience so you are up to date on all the analysis, highlights, news, stats, scores and standings.
• A new way to experience live TV. Xbox One reimagines the way you experience live TV. With the Snap feature, you can watch live games and track your fantasy team, or the latest scores and stats, at the same time.
• Connected. Sports are best when fan-to-fan heckling can commence. The NFL on Xbox One will connect fans through Skype, curated Twitter feeds and NFL.com Fantasy Football, ensuring that no win or loss is left unmentioned.
The NFL on Xbox One will be available in November 2013.
* The NFL on Xbox One, including NFL.com Fantasy Football, requires advanced TV hardware, broadband Internet, Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately) and an account on NFL.com. Additional subscriptions and/or requirements apply for some features, including NFL Red Zone. See www.xbox.com for details.
ESPN on Xbox One. ESPN on Xbox One curates the best ESPN content just for you.
• Favorites. Deeper personalization with your ESPN.com account means you can customize your ESPN experience to the teams and sports you care about most.
• Scores. Personalized scores and stats work with Snap or full-screen mode.
ESPN on Xbox One will be available in November 2013.
* Advanced TV hardware, broadband Internet (ISP fees apply) and Xbox Live Gold membership required (sold separately). Live access to ESPN networks through WatchESPN requires a video subscription from an affiliated service provider. Certain other restrictions apply. Go to WatchESPN.com for more information.
NFL.com Fantasy Football on Xbox 360. When the NFL season kicks off on Sept. 5, Xbox 360 will be there to offer a new way to track your NFL.com Fantasy Football team and league - on your TV. A destination awaits that is easy to access, is personalized with the fantasy scores and updates you need, and brings the best of the NFL's fantasy analysis and highlights right to the best screen in your house.
• Your fantasy highlights. We know your NFL.com Fantasy Football team is serious business, and to perform your best the analysis and news has to be intuitive and easy to find. Xbox 360 brings together the highlights and analysis for your NFL.com Fantasy Football team into one, easy-to-access place - your TV - to make sure that you don't miss a thing.
• Fantasy league tracking. The Xbox 360 app provides real-time fantasy stats, scores, matchup updates and league standings for up to six of your NFL.com fantasy leagues.
NFL.com Fantasy Football on Xbox 360 will be available starting Sept. 3, 2013.
* NFL.com Fantasy Football on Xbox 360 requires broadband Internet, Xbox Live Gold Membership (sold separately) and an account with NFL.com. Additional requirements apply for some features. See www.xbox.com for details.
The NFL on Surface and Windows. Surface is on the sidelines with the NFL to help protect your favorite players, and in your living room to keep you connected to the latest game stats, social networks, email and messaging. Surface tablets will not only be in the hands of medical staff, officials and the NFL staff this season, but you will also see Surface branding included on the instant replay hoods and communication carts at every game. In addition, NFL.com Fantasy Football apps will be available for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 so fans can track their fantasy teams on the go.
• X2. Concussion injuries are taken very seriously by the NFL doctors and players. The season is started by taking a baseline evaluation of each player, and, as injuries occur on the field, the X2 app for Surface helps doctors assess the level of injury. Players can answer a series of questions immediately after an injury takes place and then again later to determine if it is safe for the player to take the field.
NFL.com Fantasy Football for Windows 8
• The official NFL.com Fantasy Football app is the ultimate fantasy companion on the go, with features including Live Scoring, Player News and Windows 8 Game Center, which shows the matchup score in real time and enables you to view videos of key scoring moments during the game.
NFL.com Fantasy Football for Windows Phone
• This Windows Phone 8 app allows you to track your NFL.com Fantasy Football team, team headlines, scores and schedules.
The NFL.com Fantasy Football for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 app is available now.
* Available features, content and requirement vary across systems.