Dalaran Apple Bowl
Item Level 85
Use: Right-click to set out a bowl of 10 crisp apples (30-min. cooldown)
Requires level 75
Sell Price: 80 silver
Sold By: Applebough <Fruit Vendor>, Dalaran
Ready to feel silly that you haven't been making this all fall? I'll write this out in several steps so we all feel we've earned the achievement.
1 small bag of apples (choose the variety according to your taste; the amount is variable according to your slow cooker's capacity and dimensions -- you don't want to stack the apples too high and thick in the slow cooker, or the ones at the top won't cook well)
1 cup of water or fruit juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Scrub the apples well if you plan to leave the skins on (highly recommended -- fantastic texture), or peel them if you prefer smoother applesauce.
- Chop the apples into moderately small chunks; the smaller you chop, the faster they cook down. Make quick work of this with an apple slicer, then whack each slice in half -- done!
- Put the apple chunks into the slow cooker. Add the spices.
- Pour 1 cup of water or fruit juice over the spiced apples. Stir until the spices are well distributed.
- Cover and cook on low for four hours or until the apple chunks are mushy. Depending on the dimensions of your slow cooker, you might have to stir the mixture once or twice to ensure even cooking (but remember, avoid unnecessarily lifting the lid of your slow cooker so that the temperature inside stays even).
- Mash the cooked applesauce with a potato masher until it reaches the texture you enjoy. A serving fork works well if you don't have a potato masher. I suppose you could put the cooked apple mixture into a blender or food processor if you like, but I find that a few chunks and flecks of skin lend a rich, hearty texture.
As I mentioned earlier, I recommend enjoying Dalaran Applesauce when it's hot and fresh out of the slow cooker -- like eating fresh apple pie filling. We serve ours in small ramekins
[Images: Stacy Spensley, Stacy Spensley, Maggie Hoffman