If you are having a problem with Touch ID recognizing your fingerprint, here is a simple trick for iPhone 5s owners that'll improve its reliability. According to reader Mike Sierra, you can significantly improve Touch ID by scanning the same finger and storing it five times on your device.
You can enter a new fingerprint scan by following the written directions below or by watching the video directions here. Just rinse and repeat five times to get the best performance.
- Ensure that the Home button and your finger are clean and dry.
- Hold the iPhone as you normally would when touching the Home button.
- Touch your finger to the Home button lightly (don't press to click it) and hold it there until you feel a short vibration or until you are asked to lift your finger.
- Continue to touch and lift your finger slowly, making small adjustments to the position of your finger each time.
- Once the initial scanning is complete, you'll be asked to adjust your grip to capture the edges of your fingerprint.
- Hold the phone as you normally would when unlocking it and touch the adjacent outer areas of your fingertip, instead of the center portion you initially scanned.
- The fingerprint will be saved when the scan is complete
Note that the five fingerprint scans will use up all available slots for fingerprints in iOS 7, but you likely will capture every nook and cranny of the finger you are scanning. We've tested this trick and it seems to be working with as few as two saved scans. Test it out and let us know what you think in the comments.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 40
- Type Smartphone
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 4.7 inches
- Internal memory 16 GB
- Camera 8 megapixels
- Dimensions 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 in
- Weight 4.55 oz
- Released 2014-09-19
Apple iPhone 5s