In what's sure to make casual photography buffs salivate, it appears Apple is working on interchangeable camera lenses for the iPhone. As AppleInsider notes, Apple has been granted two separate patents for iPhone lens attachments. Both patents describe a way an external lens could be attached to the iPhone, rather than being a patent for an external lens itself. The first patent involves a removable case system, while the second patent involves a magnetic ring that would help attach and lock in an external lens to the iPhone.
The iPhone is one of the world's most popular cameras, something Apple highlights on its website and in most marketing materials. The company has put increased focus on making the camera better, most recently with a dual-LED flash, so its not too much of a surprise that Apple is experimenting with ways of adding value to the camera's capability through lens attachments. However, Apple frequently applies for patents for things that will never make it to market so it's a good idea not to expect any lens functionality too soon. The patents date from 2010 and 2012.
In other news:
- Guests who are staying at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in Manhattan and Silicon Valley will now be able to unlock their hotel room door with their iPhone. By installing the Starwood app on their iPhone 4s or above, guests will be able to use the virtual key via the iPhone's Bluetooth and a special Bluetooth-enabled door lock.
- Apple's iPod business is rapidly declining, something Tim Cook readily admits. On Apple's conference call yesterday, Cook said: "The way we look at it, our business is a sell-through point of view less iPod -- all of us have known for some time that iPod is a declining business." iPod sales are down almost 50 percent since their high in 2008.
- Because nothing says love like an iPad, Apple has updated its online store for Valentine's day.
- Are you annoyed by your Facebook "friends'" posts? Facebook has updated their iOS app with the ability to choose whose posts you see in your news feed.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 40
- Type Smartphone
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 4.7 inches
- Internal memory 16 GB
- Camera 8 megapixels
- Dimensions 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 in
- Weight 4.55 oz
- Released 2014-09-19