As I mentioned, I have
officially tried EQ
once. I just didn't like it (a sentiment that apparently amounts to fightin' words at SOE Live
; at least nothing came to blows!). You see, a way back yonder I nabbed Seeds of Destruction
for about two bucks on Steam for everyone in my family. We jumped in to play together, but neither of the kids really got into it, and -- not one to play alone -- I didn't either. In fact, I don't believe I made it past level 5! But I really want to give this game a fair shake, so I am leaving it in your hands to help keep me on the right trail to experience what this game has to offer.
Now, let's get down to business.
Where the buffalo roam
First off, we need to put down roots somewhere, so we've got to pick a server to call home. At least this is one choice I'd have no trouble making if I were on my own (wonders never cease, eh?), but it's your job to find me an ideal spot with good neighbors. It's a pretty long list, so be sure to read the whole thing. And a few servers have special designations, so take that in mind when picking. And don't forget, I am expecting ya'll to ride the trail with me.%Poll-86807%
Don't chap my hide -- choose it
Next up is selecting the skin we'll be in for the duration of this wild west ride. It's a pretty good thing you are here to help for this one; one thing EverQuest
does not skimp on is racial choices. This list is long enough that it would be time to move on to a new adventure before I even decided and started on this one! You've got your choices of elves (what fantasy game doesn't), your standard human, and plenty of other interesting critters. Want a lizard? Got it. How about a wolf? Got that, too. EQ's
even got a frog.
However, keep in mind that classes are restricted to certain races, so if class is your most important factor, skip down and choose that first, then come back and select a race that matches.%Poll-86825%
Classin' up the joint
Another thing EQ
ain't short on is classes. You've got the sneaky kind, the full-armor kind, the healing kind, and the blast-you-into-a-smoldering-pile-of-ash kind. But only certain races are adept at certain classes, so if ya have a hankerin' for a specific one, ya need to find a compatible race. Take a gander at the possibilities:
- Bard: Half Elf, Human, Vah Shir, Wood Elf, Drakkin
- Beastlord: Barbarian, Iksar, Ogre, Troll, Vah Shir
- Berzerker: Barbarian, Dwarf, Ogre, Troll, Vah Shir
- Cleric: Dark Elf, Dwarf, Erudite, Gnome, Halfling, High Elf, Human, Froglok, Drakkin
- Druid: Half Elf, Halfling, Human, Wood Elf, Drakkin
- Enchanter: Dark Elf, Erudite, Gnome, High Elf, Human, Drakkin
- Magician: Dark Elf, Erudite, Gnome, High Elf, Human, Drakkin
- Monk: Human, Iksar, Drakkin
- Necromancer: Dark Elf, Erudite, Gnome, Human, Iksar, Froglok, Drakkin
- Paladin: Dwarf, Erudite, Gnome, Half Elf, Halfling, High Elf, Human, Froglok, Drakkin
- Ranger: half Elf, Halfling, Human, Wood Elf, Drakkin
- Rogue: Barbarian, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Half Elf, Halfling, Human, Vah Shir, Wood Elf, Froglok, Drakkin
- Shadow Knight: Dark Elf, Erudite, Gnome, Human, Iksar, Ogre, Troll, Froglok, Drakkin
- Shaman: Barbarian, Iksar, Ogre, Troll, Vah Shir, Froglok
- Warrior: Barbarian, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Half Elf, Halfling, Human, Iksar, Ogre, Troll, Vah Shir, Wood Elf, Froglok, Drakkin
- Wizard: Dark Elf, Erudite, Gnome, High Elf, Human Froglok, Drakkin
In the event that an incompatible race and class combination tops the votes, the race will be kept, and whatever class the race can do that gets the highest votes will win.%Poll-86842%
Happy trails to me
Whooee, I hope ya'll ain't too tired to mark one last choice because I can't get going until ya do. The last thing I need to know is which trail to start my adventure on. Should I first set my spurs in Crescent Reach, the starting zone available to each and every race? Or should I mosey on over to my respective homeland to kick things off?%Poll-86859%
That'll wrap things up for this week. Once the polls close at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, I'll whip up a character and hit the trail. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for CMA Live on Massively TV
; I'll be aiming for an adventure every week!
Strap yourself in for the ride of (six weeks of) your life! Where are you going? Well, that's entirely up to you, the Massively readers, to decide -- the where, the what, and the how are all directed by you. The who is MJ Guthrie! For the duration of Choose My Adventure, her virtual life is in your hands! Join MJ in-game, on-site, and live on Massively TV to be a part of the adventure and watch the story unfold.