Next week sees PS3 owners get their first taste of free-to-play Ace Combat when Infinity enters a week-long open beta, starting on February 4. Common sense (perhaps misguided) would suggest there won't be any microtransactions in the beta, and Namco does say it's "completely free." But the beta may yet clear up any cloudiness over that particular issue - we'll find out either way next week.
Namco's billing the online co-op as the main mode in Ace Combat Infinity, but the beta does feature solo missions from the game's story campaign. There's also a mode for two teams of up to four pilots in total, and Gordon Freeman's long-lost twin brother, Commander Glenn "Goodfellow" Freeman is looking forward to seeing you try it. As for the game proper, it's still circling the release date runway with a 2014 window.
- First Free-to-play Title in Legendary Franchise Brings the Next Evolution with Innovative Multiplayer Co-op and Brand New Story to PlayStation®3 –
PARIS, FRANCE – 30th January 2014 – NAMCO BANDAI Games today initiated pre-flight checks for the first free-to-play game in the legendary Ace Combat series, ACE COMBAT™ INFINITY. Coming exclusively as a free download for PlayStation®3 via PlayStation®Network, ACE COMBAT™ INFINITY combines features from previous Ace Combat titles with a brand new story campaign and team co-op multiplayer. The game is scheduled for take-off in 2014.
We are pleased to announce to aces all around the world (except Japan) that the Open Beta test for ACE COMBAT™ INFINITY will be available from February the 4th until February the 11th of this year.
Whether a combat-ready pro or a battle-shy beginner, every player will have the opportunity to take part in tremendous fights into the endless blue sky of ACE COMBAT™ INFINITY.
The Open Beta is completely free so this will be the perfect chance to discover the gigantic content the game has to offer and to improve pilot skills before the game launch!
In ACE COMBAT™ INFINITY, aces will be introduced to an amazing world full of super weapons and the deadliest aircraft with hyper-real visuals. They will have access to two game modes:
- Lone wolves will be immersed in a brand new story exclusively written for ACE COMBAT™ INFINITY in which they will have to use their pilot skills during perilous solo missions.
- For those who prefer to team-up with their friends and to show off their talent as a pilot, aces will form two co-op teams of up to four aircrafts and will compete in incredible air fights in order to inflict the most damage on the NPC enemy forces.
The brave pilots who will take part in the upcoming Open Beta test will receive a special and unique emblem which will be given at the game launch as a proof of their dedication to the ACE COMBAT franchise as it launches its first Free-To-Play Beta.
To play the Beta go to the Playstation Store and search for "Ace Combat Infinity." Then download the client and play! Players can also take part in the game development by giving their feedback and answering this survey on the Open beta website, each participant will be rewarded with an exclusive wallpaper.
ACE COMBAT INFINITY for PlayStation®3 is scheduled for take-off in 2014. Maintain radio contact at www.facebook.com/AceCombat for vital mission updates.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25