Since launching Amazon Coins in May 2013, the virtual currency was locked to Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet. Today, the shackles of exclusivity are being torn asunder, replaced by the inclusivity of the Android platform. Americans, Brits and Germans all now have access to their Amazon Coins through the Amazon Appstore via the latest software update.
Beyond just being beneficial to consumers who prefer using virtual currencies for online purchases, Amazon Coins offers yet another method for phone and tablet application developers to receive payment (70 percent of the payment goes directly to developers). Of course, ultimately, this benefits Amazon the most, as the company skims the other 30 percent off payments for itself. Something's gotta pay for The Washington Post, right?