The Xbox One sold 258,000 units in February, surpassing comparable Xbox 360 launch sales by 61 percent, Microsoft says. Xbox 360 sold 114,000 units in its 100th month on the market, "more than any other seventh generation console." Xbox One owners buy an average of 2.75 games per console, with a total of 772,000 sold in February. Xbox 360, meanwhile, sold 2.46 million games.
Sales of video game hardware in the US were $347 million in February, up 42 percent compared with the same month in 2013. Software sales dropped 9 percent to $318 million, while accessories were up 3 percent, to $221 million.
Next-gen software sales in the consoles' first four months are up 80 percent compared with the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 software in the same time period. The 9 percent decline in overall software sales is attributed to weakening sales for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, which is expected, according to NPD. Call of Duty: Ghosts led software sales in February, followed by The Lego Movie Videogame, NBA 2K14, Thief and Grand Theft Auto 5. See the full list after the break.
"PS4 and Xbox One software sales are off to a great start through February 2014," NPD's Liam Callahan says.
Nintendo calls out Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for driving Wii U software sales, which were up 180 percent over February last year. Tropical Freeze sold 130,000 physical and digital copies in its first eight days, and Wii U hardware sales increased 25 percent over the same month last year.
"Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was the fourth highest selling video game SKU, but did not rank in the top ten when looking at title-level sales," Callahan says.
3DS game Bravely Default sold more than 200,000 units in its first three weeks, after launching on February 7. Pokemon X and Y sold more than 130,000 copies in February, the fifth month on sale, bringing total sales to 3.4 million.
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, NWU, PC)**
- The LEGO Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, NWU, XBO, PS4, PSV)
- NBA 2K14 (360, PS4, PS3, XBO, PC)**
- Thief (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
- Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)**
- Battlefield 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, PS3, XBO, NWU, PC)**
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
- Minecraft (360)
- Bravely Default (3DS)
- Key specs
- Reviews • 104
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Nintendo DS Lite
Sony PlayStation Vita PCH-2000
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Sony PlayStation 4
Nintendo Wii console
Nintendo Wii U
Microsoft Xbox One