Parallels Access, the remote access and control iOS application from Parallels, Inc., today received a major update to version 2.0 that not only added some new features, but added support for the iPhone. The update is available at no cost to current users through the App Store's update process, although users will also need to download the latest Mac or Windows client as well to host the remote session.
The new features include:
- Universal app now runs on iPhone for the first time
- Users can now change the screen resolution
- There's a new file browser for accessing files on your remote computer
- The app can now wake a sleeping remote computer
- Registration and login can be done with a Facebook account as well as the traditional Parallels account
- Have a Mac or Windows app that requires microphone input? You can use the mic on your iPhone or iPad as a microphone for your remote Mac or Windows machine.
In limited testing by TUAW, we found the new features to work quite well. The file browser is something in particular that had been needed since the app first appeared last August, providing a way to dig through files and apps on any mounted drive.