"It doesn't necessarily mean that we need to annualize Battlefield and that's the way it's going to be forever and ever," Soderlund said, explaining that Hardline exists because the heads of DICE and Visceral wanted to make it, not because they were pushed to. "The EA that I'm trying to help build isn't an EA that needs to annualize everything," Soderlund said.
This isn't the first time the topic has come up; shortly before Battlefield 3 made landing in 2011, executive producer Patrick Bach expressed his doubts that the series would become a yearly release. "I think that would dilute the vision of the franchise," he told GameSpot. "You will eventually kill the franchise by doing that."
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Sony PlayStation 4
Microsoft Xbox One